how do you hatch your eggs from day 18 & on????

HeatherJoe

Songster
7 Years
Oct 24, 2014
We are on day 18!!!!!!!!!!!! The big question is...... How are the eggs supposed to be set?? are they supposed to be layed right down?? or can they be in an egg carton or left in the turner as long as the turner is shut off???? PLEASE HELP... IM CONFUSED.....LOL.

All five chicks dead. I did the water candle test thing and they barely stayed afloat let alone move. Cracked them all and looks as if they all died at about day 10ish. So at least I was correct by believing they were all fertile when I candled them in the beginning. We had a bit of a cold snap and I did not separate her from the other hens early enough. . . .she was sitting in another nest about half way through cause another hen kicked her out and was sitting on them. Not sure how long they were without momma or foster momma so this could have been when tragedy struck.

So . . . went to the neighbor and traded for 6 more fertile eggs (our banty rooster has not proved himself to be getting the job done). Took momma out for a walk, dusting, and a poop, and back in broody mode she went. 21 more days for momma I suppose and this time no interference cause she is in her nursery. Wish us luck

I lay my eggs down on their sides (horizontally). It does depend on the incubator, however. I use the Brinsea Mini Advance, so the eggs are always on their sides. Other incubators and incubator turners are designed for chicks to hatch with the eggs kept in the turner, pointing with the large end up.

I take my turner out and lay mine down. Lot's of people hatch in egg cartons (but the bottom of each cup is cut out for air circulation.) And yes, air cell up. I've seen some hatch with the turners in and just turned off. Personally I would think that it would be harder to clean the turners after hatching in them, but I could be wrong. I use the dollar store rubber shelf liner over my screen in the bator so I can just roll it up and discard it after hatch.

I hope mine hatch at night! I can't stand the stress any longer or the wait! And I've spent so much time at the incubators already...last time was my first hatch and every time they pipped I felt it was my motherly duty to "save" them....this time I' m not watching....swear!!!!

Great video. Thanks! I have my tripod and camera ready... even though I've still got 3 days to go!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom