katie_94

Chirping
Oct 14, 2021
We have 11 coturnix quails that all live together: 2 boys, the rest females. The 2 boys and 1 girl are our first quails and could be 4-5 months old. We got 8 more after who might be 14 weeks old. My parents feed them Purina 30% Protein Starter Gamebird and Turkey Feed and don't want to buy anything else per my suggestion so I went and bought a 5lb of Dumor Oyster Shell (only one available at the feed store) to help supplement those who are laying or as someone mentioned, help encourage those who aren't laying to start laying. We've only been getting 4 eggs a day.

I've read on here about others sifting the shells or crushing them to get smaller pieces. How do you offer oyster shells after to the quails if separate from their food to help themselves to if needed? Should it be put right next to their food or far from it? What do you offer it in? I have some spare Little Giant 1-Quart Screw-On base+jar waterer from when the chickens were babies. Do you recommend putting it in an automatic feeder? I handmade a no-mess one for the quails for their food.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
I crush them into quail sized pieces (I have a stainless steel mortar and pestle) and put them in a separate dish near their food. The boys leave it alone, then hens take as much as they need.

Back
Top Bottom