how do you sell your eating eggs?

I just sold 2 dozen and they told me $3.00 is cheap for organic eggs. Is this true? She said I could probably get much more for them.
idunno.gif

Quote:
"Certified" organic eggs in grocery stores in Louisiana can be as high as $5.00 per dozen. Are your eggs "certified" organic eggs? Is that how you are advertising your eggs? I have about 3 customers that are vegetarian and are in to "organic" eggs. The reason that they buy my eggs because they say that I am close to organic and it gets and they want my eggs instead of store bought eggs. I do not advertise that my eggs as "organic" because my little farm is not certified as "Organic" and I would be falsely leading customers to believe that I have been certified as organic. I sell my eggs for $1.50 per dozen but my "organic" customers voluntarily give me $3.00 per dozen.

The price that you charge for your eggs will depend on your area. Every person in every state can charge a different price. There is no set price for your eggs. Some people on this site can get as much as $5.00 per dozen while others (like myself) only charges $1.50 per dozen. I live in Southern Louisiana and this is a "farming" state where everyone on every block has livestock or backyard chickens. Farm fresh eggs in my neck of the woods are not in great demand as other states. Craigslist posters post farm fresh eggs for as low as $1.00 per dozen. So if you live in Louisiana and try to sell eggs for $3.00 and $4.00 when the person on the next street is selling eggs for $1.00 per dozen, guess what? You will have a fridge full of eggs that no one wants to buy. Like I always say, farm fresh eggs are like bottled water on a shelf. They are everywhere.

So, if you think that you can sell your "organic" eggs for higher price please do so.

I have posted a link below about "Organic".

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/nop

I sell my extras to my parents, inlaws and neighbor. I charge $3.00 a dozen for my organic eggs and $2.50 to the parents and Inlaws. I should really charge $4. Organic eggs go for$4-5 around here.

But I'm just looking with help on the feed cost and not to make money off them. It pays for 2/3 of my feed cost.

People around here would flip if I tried to charge more than 3 per dozen and that is pushing it. If I lived closer to Augusta or Atlanta, I bet I could get 5 a doz.

Quote:
You are allowed to sell your eggs as "Organic", but not "USDA Certified Organic" if you have $5000 or less in annual sales, but you are required to follow all of the regulations of the USDA program.

As I'm sure you're aware, just feeding certified organic feed does not make the eggs organic. The hens must have been managed organically from the second day of life. If they have ever been fed conventional feed, medicated feed, or had any antibiotic treatments, then they do not qualify for organic production. The birds must have access to the outdoors, and any pasture or bedding that they may eat must be certifiable too, without any synthetic pesticides, fertilizers, or other inputs having been applied within the past three years.

We sell a lot of eggs from our farm. Mostly to neighbors within a five mile radius of us or the occasional person who happens by our place on a Sunday drive. Most folks aren't going to go out of their way to purchase eggs.

We put a sign out by the road the first summer we were producing egg here. "Jumbo Eggs For Sale" "Stop On In!".

Before I put the "Stop On In!"on the sign, people were wary of stopping and bothering us unless they happened to see us outside working in the yard. Once people did start stopping, I showed them where we kept the eggs in a refrigerator in the barn and where to put the money in a coffee can. I told them that in the future they were to drive down to the barn and help themselves.

After the first summer I took down the sign (actually the snow plow did), but it pretty much sustained itself. I have regular customers that help themselves and there is always extra money in the coffee can in the barn.

I feel self service is the key. If they have to stop and knock, see if we are home, make conversation, etc., then most folks won't take the time to stop. It only takes a them a minute to stop on by and grab eggs out of the barn. Very convenient for them.

My hubby takes the extras to work where a couple of his coworkers buy them for $2 a dozen. I am getting some more chickens soon to up my egg production and I was going to offer the extras to my coworkers too. They actually have been asking for them since the salmonella scare. When they found out I had chickens, they came to me asking what they should do about getting eggs because of the salmonella problem. I got to educate them about buying local from local farmers!
wink.png
Anyway, I'm wondering if we could run into problems by doing this. We don't have signs out or advertise. In MD, you are supposed to register your flock with the Dept. of Ag (it costs $ of course), so they can track Avian flu. I have not done that. I live on a half acre in the country in an area that is zoned agricultural, but I am still in violation of zoning laws because any animal housing structure has to be a certain number of yards from the property line. My property is narrow and long, so the coop will never be far enough away from the property line. But, the neighbors do not mind and you can't really see the coop from the road, so I'm choosing to keep quiet about it. Also, with everyone so law suit happy these days, I worry that someone could sue me if they get sick. Not that I expect that my hens carry anything, but I don't have my flock tested. I only have 4 chickens right now...and won't have any more than 10 at one time probably. I give eggs away to the neighbors to keep them happy (they love that!), and I only sell to friends and acquaintances. Any thoughts?

I don't have many to sell (yet....in the spring, I'm thinking there'll be some chicks in some Easter baskets
big_smile.png
).....but I post it on Facebook. It never gets far, one neighbor calls me right away. I sell them for $3 a dozen, but they aren't certified organic. I buy regular layer pellets, but any produce they get is from my organic garden, and my lawn is not treated, so the grass they eat is organic. My neighbor would pay $4 or $5 though.....I just want to make enough to buy the next bag of feed.

Right now I don't get but a dozen eggs a week, but by March I will have 27 girls laying. I will have a sign at the driveway, and a web page for ordering. I am also thinking about selling chicks, pol pullets, birds for raw feeding (not live) when pre ordered. If I wind up unable to sell the eggs and have too many, I will take them to the flea market in town on Sat or donate them to United Ministries that service the food pantries in the area.
I am thinking $2 a doz if the egg carton is returned or otherwise $2.50. Could be fun, and if it isn't I can always go back to my half dozen girls for just the family. I really do love my chickens.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom