How Does Momma Duck Get Baby To Drink And Eat?

kysilkies

Songster
10 Years
May 3, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Our Muscovy that's been laying on eggs in a little dog house(only big enough for her and some hay) hatched a baby 2 days ago, they're inseparable but our concern is how does she get it to eat and drink?...We left food and water outside of the house but it doesn't appear to be being used...Thought?...
hu.gif

If she's going to continue to sit & you have to remove the baby.. I have always put something brightly colored in the water dish, just to get their interest. it's pretty funny to watch them when they first try to grab it and realize there's a lot of wet stuff in there too, lol.

Last edited:
Did she lean over the duckling to show it to eat and drink. That is how mine taught an adopted duckling. Hers just watched then did what she did.

I have little kitten dishes for the ducklings and pie pans for the ducks, to each their own. The ducks won't let the duckings eat at their dishes because of the larger food. When first they show the ducklings, they eat out of the ducklings dishes to show them how and where to eat. I have cameras in the duck house when they are hatching eggs. I love watching them in the evenings.

We only saw them walking around the yard so we're not sure what lessons she gave the baby, but to see them together was just precious...Do you think we could introduce one that was hatched by a chicken, it's 2 days old and we have it in the house with us?...

...Do you think we could introduce one that was hatched by a chicken, it's 2 days old and we have it in the house with us?...

Under close supervision. I've had one hen, Chloe, who seems to be really good at adopting babies but you should watch it very carefully at first. At two days old it really is the same age so your Scovy could very well take to it pretty quickly.​

Back
Top Bottom