How early have your birds started laying?

My RIRs are 21 weeks. One has had a bright red face for a couple weeks now, and has been talking more, and I thought squatting but still no egg. Of course I'm still not sure that one is a girl.
hmm.png
I don't hear either of them "talking" when I'm in the house, but when I go out they run up to the fence and talk to me (I think they want me to let them out). My other girl finally has a red face, but I think it could get a little redder. I haven't seen her squat yet but I'm hoping to have eggs soon. My sister got chicks a few weeks after I did and hers are already laying. For now I'm keeping them in their run most of the time so if they lay I can find the eggs. Once I know they are laying I'll let them out again.

My Cuckoo Marans was the youngest at between 18-19 weeks. Next was my EE at 20. My three older girls started laying pretty late, 28-30 weeks, but I think they started laying in the fall/winter. The babies CM and EE started laying this summer.

barnie.gif
We've had our white leghorns for 15 weeks and they were 2-3 weeks old when we got them, so they're around 17-18 weeks today! I put pine shavings in the boxes, three of them have large red combs. Do I have a long wait?I have them on Dumor grower/finisher feed. I took these a couple days ago.

The oldest, I'm REALLY watching her.

Last edited:
Studio, you won't have long to wait, any day now you should find a nice little white egg in the nest. I have 2 leghorns both 20 weeks old now. One of the leghorns started laying at 18 weeks, 1 egg every other day, now for the last 4 days she's laying every day. The other leghorn is way behind on comb/wattle growth, no eggs from her yet. I got my first egg from a RIR today, also 20 weeks old.

Last edited:
Studio, you won't have long to wait, any day now you should find a nice little white egg in the nest. I have 2 leghorns both 20 weeks old now. One of the leghorns started laying at 18 weeks, 1 egg every other day, now for the last 4 days she's laying every day. The other leghorn is way behind on comb/wattle growth, no eggs from her yet. I got my first egg from a RIR today, also 20 weeks old.
That's what I'm hoping for! I'm not sure if her face is red enough, and I can't really try to see if she squats when I pet her because she runs away.

Ok.....what signs do I need to look for. I am new to all of this. I got my chicks on April 6. So I think they are about 16 weeks old. Do I need to put anything in the only nesting box that is in their cage? Right now I have cedar shavings in the box. What does it mean about their face being red? I have a barred rock, a buff Orpington and an ameracauna..or it is supposed to be that kind. Here are a couple of pictures of them.
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Ok.....what signs do I need to look for. I am new to all of this. I got my chicks on April 6. So I think they are about 16 weeks old. Do I need to put anything in the only nesting box that is in their cage? Right now I have cedar shavings in the box. What does it mean about their face being red? I have a barred rock, a buff Orpington and an ameracauna..or it is supposed to be that kind. Here are a couple of pictures of them.
[/URL]
I'm new to this also. Red face, large red comb, squatting, and interest in the nesting boxes seem to be signs of laying readiness. I think for yours they lay around 20 weeks but I would double check. I've heard cedar shavings are bad. I have pine shavings, I've heard those are bad too. My chickens are fine. Your Ameraucana is an Easter Egger because of its green legs. Did she happen to look like this when she was younger?

In order of apperance: Hefe (roo silver laced wyandotte) Harriet (hen New Hampshire) White crack (? sex silkie bantam) Romeo (Roo Japanese black tail) and then Lilly and Tilley (both hens California leghorns)

And this is black crack (I think roo frizzle cochin bantam)

I also have a few more hens not pictured. All are about 14 weeks old- awaiting they laying to begin! Not interested in their nest boxes yet.. Waiting game!

Back
Top Bottom