How high a fence to keep hens out of veggie garden?

I put 5’ chicken wire around my boxes. Depends on the physical ability of the hen. My little gold medal gymnast...aka Leghorn can maneuver anything she sets her mind to. I’ve seen her walk up the side of the fence! I’ve found that using loosely hung yarn (think big netting) across the top is enough to keep her out. She doesn’t go where she can’t get solid footings or gripping.

I built a 6 foot fence around my garden and it is fine. Yes they can fly over it but they never do. I guess it is too much work for them. The reason I know is that the last couple years in the fall I have gotten some pullets and I quarantine them in the garden. I have to clip their wings to keep them from flying out. When they feel confined they fly out but I have never seen them fly in. I have had between 10-16 hens for 3 years now and never have the flown over the fence to get in. I have buffs, RIR's, barred rocks, and some golden comets.

You can try this. Most folks are skeptical of it working......don't know if anyone but me has ever tried it, but I it has worked for me every time. And to keep them OUT of a garden, as well as in their pen. I use it for crowd control. To me, it is easier to use and more effective and a fraction of the cost of electric poultry netting, of which I have two.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/quick-and-easy-electric-fence.1191333/page-2

Some related photos where this has and is being used.......

hot wire.jpg

Used to keep birds off the patio. It is HOT and no, they don't hop over it. Could.....but don't. My best guess is they know the tape is hot and they want no part of another hit like the one they got when they stepped on it......and fear that if they hop over this, what awaits them on the other side is another hit. They fear it and thus won't even try.

This was what this flock was trained on from an early age......

20180609_181340.jpg 20180609_181204.jpg 20180609_144630.jpg

When in training, most birds will see the tape as no threat and walk up to and step on it to go over. Eventually it hits them the bottom of their foot and they get it. After that, they will rarely, if ever cross it. That simple one strand tape was used to confine 23 pullets within that garden area for nearly 3 months. Rarely, if ever, did they leave it. Left the charger off once and after a week, they started going over it. Turned it back on and all traffic stopped.

It is not a case of can they get over it, it is a case of whether they want to or not. Many people would be surprised at how well full-sized fowl chickens can fly if the want to bad enough. And I agree, keeping them out of an area is a lot different from keeping them contained.

You are dealing with living animals so I totally refuse to give any guarantees regarding behaviors. You can always find an exception. From what you describe 3' high would probably be enough unless they know there is some really good food in there. If they don't know they have a reason to go in there they probably will not bother. A four feet high fence would be even better.

One typical problem with fencing is that chickens like to perch. Perching is a favorite game with them. If your fence looks like it is safe to perch on they may fly up. Once up there who knows which side they will hop down on. If your fence has a top rail or your posts look like a good landing spot they could try it. If the top of your fence is wire it is not inviting.

Another issue is the size of the mesh. Will you have baby chicks? You don't want them to go through the fence. Also, if the fence is not pretty flat on the ground they may go under.

I'd consider getting a 5' high chicken wire fence. Bend the bottom 12" to form an apron looking out of the garden so you wind up with a 4' high fence. If you are careful with the gate you should keep chickens and rabbits out.

Howdy, I hope this is the correct forum. I searched and only found dead old threads from 2014.

We have 9 laying hens, 1 old maid, and 1 lazy rooster. It's time to plan our veggie garden. In Texas, if you wait too late, you get sun-dried dead veggies.

I've never seen our chickens fly higher than about 3' - when they are flustered. Do you reckon 4' is high enough for a light plastic fence, to keep them from going in to eat our veggies? TractorSupply has this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...y-fence-1-3-4-in-mesh-bf48100175?cm_vc=-10005

Or should I go up 6' with a light fence? Maybe I'd need to electrify it? I don't see any 6' safety fence for sale yet. Amazon only goes up to 4' for electric fence. https://tinyurl.com/yb7edtda Does anybody have a 6' fence? Maybe that would be overkill....

Thank you!

I just cover mine with cheap grow cloth from gardeners supply. Let’s rain and sun in. Hooped for height. Just clip the cloth to it. Doesn’t blow away. :)

I just cover mine with cheap grow cloth from gardeners supply. Let’s rain and sun in. Hooped for height. Just clip the cloth to it. Doesn’t blow away. :)

I need some for my raised beds....... Going shopping at gardeners supply on the web.....
At the greenhouses here it is FAR from cheap.

Back
Top Bottom