I honestly don't know about the other options.
I live in the boonies and have no rooster restrictions. I like roosters as much as hens and have had 75 to 100 roosters at once many times. I would imagine 75 roosters on one property is surely gonna act different then a single rooster would.
As for here I get 24/7 crowing. 11 at night, 1 at night, 3 at night, 5 in the morning, all day long. So in my situation I don't think anything would do the job. IDK.
I don't think it was in this thread so I'll mention that I have taken in many roosters from CL and such and just gave them a home with our layers. As said I like roosters and my wife thinks they're always prettier so giving a rooster away not to be eaten isn't impossible and giving a rooster away isn't a definite death sentence.

I think most chicken keepers can look at their birds and tell if they are happy or not. It won't instantly kill him so why don't you try it and see how he tolerates it.

If you start a thread about rooster collars or forcing your hens to lay in winter with artificial lighting your going to get bunch of haters, that's just the way it is. The fact is that most people who are against it have no experience using one. Just because something is unnatural does not make it inhumane. How many people feed their chickens pellets? That's certainly not natural, most feed, even organic non pelleted has things like fish meal and oyster shell. These are certainly not natural for a chicken to eat.

Inhuman means without regard for suffering, I think you can see for yourself if he is suffering or not.

I go by: If you can't own a rooster then why buy it? I understand you 'saved' it but It's food and I'd rather kill a chicken then watch it 'suffer', taking away something so natural for a rooster to do. I bought my rooster because I don't have a big neighborhood/my property is big and they stay in my woods so no one could hear him unless you'e up their with him/ and my neighbors are ok with him. Maybe try making a sound proof coop?
I'd think through next time and just give him away for an option. Good luck with your rooster.

I think most chicken keepers can look at their birds and tell if they are happy or not. It won't instantly kill him so why don't you try it and see how he tolerates it.

If you start a thread about rooster collars or forcing your hens to lay in winter with artificial lighting your going to get bunch of haters, that's just the way it is. The fact is that most people who are against it have no experience using one. Just because something is unnatural does not make it inhumane. How many people feed their chickens pellets? That's certainly not natural, most feed, even organic non pelleted has things like fish meal and oyster shell. These are certainly not natural for a chicken to eat.

Inhuman means without regard for suffering, I think you can see for yourself if he is suffering or not.
Thanks for your reply! I think that I’m gonna try the blackout curtains first and then try out the collar. He doesn’t seem too bothered by it right now. I appreciate you saying that I wasn’t like a horrible person or anything for wanting to use one. I really love this rooster and I thought I was doing something good by rescuing him, even if it meant he wouldn’t be able to crow at full volume. The comparison to the chicken pellets was a good one! I’m gonna try out the curtains but use the collar if they don’t work. I’ll make sure that I don’t tighten it up too much so it doesn’t hurt him, but I don’t think it’s particularly cruel. I mean, it’s not hurting him right? And it’s definitely better than becoming someone’s meal! Thanks so much for replying!

Back
Top Bottom