How is your flock today?

Wow this thread came back from the dead! I’ve got a bunch of chooks I hatched that need to go to freezer camp and one roo who always wakes up on the wrong side of the bed. I wish he wasn’t so mean, he loves his girls. But he was attacking me too close to my face for my preference. I don’t want to be scared to go into my own coop. I AM excited for the fresh chicken dinner though!!!

Your vacation to the mountains sounds very amazing. Out of curiosity, what was your lodging like, meaning do you have a travel trailer to stay in or maybe stay at a resort of some type?
We caretake a cabin up there and have free access in exchange for the work. Normally we just go up to work... like for years. DH has been caring for it for the last 37 I think, me, the last 10+ when we did the remodeling etc. I needed to get some bids for the trees, cuttings and starts for plantings and I was also trapping feral cats, socializing, fixing and adopting 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️ and releasing into colonies.

Of course I do! This is from summer 2020, shortly after they started laying. This is Little. She was the smallest of my first chicks, hence the name. Be careful what you name your birds: she lived up to her name by laying the littles eggs. She's my nicest Aussie.
View attachment 2903704

This is Middle. Not shown is Lark, my third Black Australorp. She was camera shy.

View attachment 2903705

Taken this past June, this is May, who was a Blue Australorp until she became a Blue Jersey Giant. :gig Even though it's not a good quality picture (especially at this size!), I love it because she looks happy to me.

View attachment 2903707

I would get Australorps again, any time. They are nice, quiet birds.
I'd like to see more of your blue J giants ♡♡♡ curious.

Yesterday I took my foster kitties in to get their vacs and somehow missed a bunch of posts of this thread. So apologies. Not ignoring, just missing.
Back on the subject of roos. I let Ivan out this morning. He is the biggest dork or most awkward of my boys but he does make wonderful babies, so he stays. I don't have a lot of photos of him, he moves a lot. I did get my phone in time to see his dorky moves getting some interest...
20211120_071643~2.jpg
20211120_071646~2.jpg
20211120_071727.jpg
20211120_071626.jpg
and then...
20211120_074540.jpg

...it was his time to be but back in his pen. ☹

Last edited:
Spider keeping a watchful eye on the babies. I am more and more in love with this boy every day. 20211120_151603~2.jpg
My latest adopted kitty- Forest, who I trapped up Koke'e and socialized at about 5 months old, pretty late for a kitten. Well, he loves everything chicken, loves to watch, chase, watch some more. He thinks the chickens are his and I often find him in the the run napping in the middle of my flock. Forest was next to me as usual while I was dealing with the chicks yesterday, I was probably cleaning out the water. Spider a foot away from me thoughtfully watching what I was doing too. Then Forest started sniffing Spider who did not seem to notice it as he was watching me pretty intently taking care of his future. Forest went from sniffing his tail to his wing and then decided to rub his pheromones on him like kitties do. As I watched, amazed by both, wishing I had my phone of course... Spider looks down and sees Forest and jumps three feet- we all jump three feet- Tranquil lion and lamb moment gone.
20211120_151634~2.jpg

This morning I had Bolt out who was doing great as usual. He is a good boy. I opened the run door so I could empty my kitchen compost in the tumblers and Bolt entered. All was calm. Girls, boys good... me wishing I had my camera again... for about 30 seconds. Then Bolt challenged Spider and we all went three feet in the air again. Ugh, too bad, it was a hopeful moment. I'd love to have 2 on guard. Just don't want the stress of making it happen.

Last week's rain is bringing the Green Panic grass back so we cut some grass for the chooks. I like to dry it on the coop roof, then bag. Best nesting material ever. Nice and soft and the girls love picking at it while sitting.
53353.jpeg
moonrise over pasture last eve while cutting.
20211121_075449.jpg
this mornings photo from daughter on Oahu. 😮 Happy Sunday all!
53775.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom