How loud are baby chicks when in the brooder both day & night?

lachie27

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2015
I want to raise baby chicks and if I do they will be kept in a plastic box in the garage. How loud will they be during the day it at night because I don't want to disturb my neighbours. Thanks

I want to raise baby chicks and if I do they will be kept in a plastic box in the garage. How loud will they be during the day it at night because I don't want to disturb my neighbours. Thanks

Baby chicks are quite noisy. however they are not very loud. I strongly doubt that your neighbors will even know that you have baby chickens and after dark all chickens are totally or almost totally silent. Well at least as long as the lights are out. Do remember however that all chickens grow like gang busters so build now and get ahead of their growth spurt. Ask yourself, how noisy is a robin after dark.

Decibels. Noise is measured in decibels. I doubt that the noise baby chicks make would even move the needle.

In fact, well cared-for baby chicks will not make much noise at all. As long as you've provided for all their needs, they're going to be content and the peeping will be intermittent and quite soft.

However, if you are a novice, if this is your first batch of chicks, you may make some mistakes, and you can be assured that your babies will let you know. Loudly and persistently, until you figure out what's causing their distress and you correct it.

So do all your homework. Learn what is required to rear baby chicks, and you shouldn't have any problem with noise that is likely to disturb someone.

Here's a tip. Read the thread on this forum "Mama Heating Pad for the Brooder" and discover a whole new way to brood chicks that will practically guarantee quiet chicks.

Last edited:
I'm raising some now. Can hear them through one wall if there's not much background noise about. I wouldn't worry about your neighbors hearing them.

Last edited:
Yup I have my chicks in a box in the garage also and my parents room is right above the garage and you can't hear them at all! I can sort of heat them if I'm in the living room and they are hungry or what not but other than that you'll be fine. There's no way a different house could hear them. And one of my chicks is super noisy

Hi, I did not want to make new thread for the same question. Hope somebody will find it here. So I will have my first bunch of chicks pretty soon and so it happens that they will have to live at home until spring, my bedroom to be exact. I can sleep in my husbands room (yep, we have separate ones), but still have hope to be able to stay at mine. Am I very naive thinking that I will get some decent night sleep with little chicks at the same room? I have heating plate for them so they should stay warm and in a dark...

Hi, I did not want to make new thread for the same question. Hope somebody will find it here. So I will have my first bunch of chicks pretty soon and so it happens that they will have to live at home until spring, my bedroom to be exact. I can sleep in my husbands room (yep, we have separate ones), but still have hope to be able to stay at mine. Am I very naive thinking that I will get some decent night sleep with little chicks at the same room? I have heating plate for them so they should stay warm and in a dark...

You don’t want to raise chicks in the house. If you have an alternative place to brood them please do. They shed feathers and create a lot of dust and dander which in turn will be spread throughout the house. It will coat your lungs and every other surface in your home. They’re cute but they aren’t healthy to be living with, specially sleeping next to them. Hope this helps.

Thanks, this is not something I thought about. I don't really have much choise sinse it's too cold anywere else, but maybe I can put them not in a sleeping place at least. Is it too cold for chicks if it's close to 32 F (0 C)? With heating plate?

Decibels. Noise is measured in decibels. I doubt that the noise baby chicks make would even move the needle.

In fact, well cared-for baby chicks will not make much noise at all. As long as you've provided for all their needs, they're going to be content and the peeping will be intermittent and quite soft.

However, if you are a novice, if this is your first batch of chicks, you may make some mistakes, and you can be assured that your babies will let you know. Loudly and persistently, until you figure out what's causing their distress and you correct it.

So do all your homework. Learn what is required to rear baby chicks, and you shouldn't have any problem with noise that is likely to disturb someone.

Here's a tip. Read the thread on this forum "Mama Heating Pad for the Brooder" and discover a whole new way to brood chicks that will practically guarantee quiet chicks.

X2 on all points. Happy, comfortable chicks make sweet little sounds....hungry, cold, lonely, distressed, etc chicks are LOUD! Brooding with a non light based heat source allows a natural day/night cycle and eliminates noise at night.

Back
Top Bottom