How many chickens.............

very much agree! A higher flock number is definitely safer
I had originally said 25-30 for 25 eggs a day (high production breed) but considering the fact that no person wants that many chickens for egg count unless your selling them! Maybe 40-45. Be brave and snag 50 but that could be twice the ammount if eggs you need. I believe most hatcheries have a lower price for 50 birds.

I have white leghorns and red sex links, and they lay every day when it's laying season. BRs are supposed to be high production as well. However, as previously suggested, having more than you need is a good idea to accomodate for loss and individual hens laying habits.
Ya I made a mistake and had 11 (10 layers) BRs in the coop. An egg a day as they say. Luckily Poppy(Jr) Was Broody for no reason (I’ve never seen a BR be broody like that but there one in every bunch!) only she was the worst broody ever. Sit on the eggs all day but you could coax her out until it clicked in her head and she remembered she was broody again and would go back 4 days later :rolleyes:

luckily we had just gotten rid of “Brooster“ (Bruce the Rooster :lol:) So no littles were among the flock at the time

Since production is your goal, I hope your plan and set up allows for yearly addition/integration of new birds. First 2 years are more productive, after that they'll start to slow down. Plus annual molts will slow or stall your egg production in birds 1 year and up.

Definitely make sure you can add birds so maybe getting 40-50 birds this year and 10-20 birds next year. Allow for more extra space than you originally expected

i will order 60 chicks incase some die

good idea to get more as chicks. Your breed choices are good too, for egg laying to sell.

good point previously mentioned about staggered ages To keep production up. If you have the room, you can make 2 choices: 1. all birds at once, lay for 2 years then replace whole flock (raise chicks during that second summer). Repeat 2 years later. Or 2. Get 30-50 birds then following year 30-50 more, repeat yearly.

if an egg business, you’ll need to decide how you will handle aging birds that decline in production (with possible increase in health issues more prone in high production strains), while They are still eating feed. Sell? Butcher/eat (although high production breeds might be best for soup and broth:idunno). Anyway, your choice.

space: if they feather pick or bully, etc, then not enough space or need some visual interruptions to get out of line of sight.

predators-a-plenty in Florida. So, be prepared!

good luck!

Ok now i have another question should I get chicks or starter pullets

If you need eggs soon: started pullets.
If you have a good source of started pullets: go for it!

Otherwise, chicks.
Given that you need 50 to 60 of them, raising your own chicks is probably more cost effective.

Build your coop FIRST, then get 2 heat lamps and a few chick waterers/feeders and brood those chicks right in the coop. (2 heat lamps: because of number of chicks, and because if one goes out the chicks will still have the other. Do make sure they cannot fall and cause a fire.)

Back
Top Bottom