How many of you have your chicks in your house?

Oh, haha, absolutely!

Well, I did have chicks in my house until a few days ago.

When I get new chicks, they are welcome in my guest bathroom in a rubbermaid bin until they are about 3 weeks old. Then it starts getting a little crowded, and stinky and they start jumping out!

So I moved them to the chicken wire covered doggie X-pen in the chicken coop with a nice heat lamp, bigger feeder, bigger waterer.... they're doing great. My older chicks (6 weeks old) are running around loose in the coop with the two larger chickens. Everyone is so happy. The older chicks have been cuddling up close to the fence to get closer to the heat lamp and the younger chicks. Yesterday, I noticed the older chicks right outside the fence, dustbathing in the shaving, and the younger chicks were inside doing the same thing! It was so sweet!

I have 8 chicks in my dining room, which we use as an office, and they are in a 36"x 36" box. Even though the box is 3 foot high as well, they are trying to fly out now! They are about 2 1/2 weeks old. At one time I would have thought it "gross" to keep chickens in the house, but hey, these are chicks! Totally different!
lol.png

Last edited:
My Seramas live in the house full time. I have tiny tiny ones and we tried to put them in the coop in their own pen and they hated it. So back up to the house they came. In the summer they will go out in a tractor coop during the day and be inside at night. So 6 live in the house full time. They have a huge rabbit cage with perches in there for them to roost. They've got it make. I use shredded news paper for their bedding. It REALLY cuts down on the dust and is much easier to clean up. All my chicks that I hatch spend 1-4 weeks in the house as well. We have a heated barn where my chickens stay in the colder months. I move chicks down to the "baby pen" as needed according to size and how well they are doing (how strong they are). I feel like I can keep a better eye on them and the temps stay far more constant in the house. Having chickens in our house is just a normal thing around here!

Quote:
2 just weren't enough, were they? Noone can have just 2. Congrats on your new additions!

Shiela, this was the plan all along..........DH said ok to the first 2 hens, scarfed down those delicious eggs and wanted more. (fluttering my eyes) I said of course I will get you more eggs dear! (runs to feed store for chicks)

My 2 1/2 dozen babies are next to me in my computer room, along with 3 boys waiting to be shipped out, and another 5 boys in my studio, also purchased and waiting to go...The boys just have to much testosterone as teens, so they're all in separate cages.

Juliette

Back
Top Bottom