how to tell what chick are easter eggers?

mommyoftwo

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
I went to the feed store yesterday to get feed for all the animal and was shocked to see chicks already. I want some easter eggers for the kids but not sure which ones they are. Rural King has them labeled as araucana Easter eggers. They look just like little chipmunks With a dark stripe running down their backs. Are they what I'm looking for? I should have taken a photo but the one time I forgot my phone at home.

Here is a link that will show you the difference between Araucanas, Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas. http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html I am just guessing by what they labelled the chicks that the chicks are a cross between an Araucana and another breed so that the chicks are Easter Eggers and will eventually lay blue eggs (Easter Eggers are a hybrid cross between a blue egg laying breed (so either Araucana or an Ameraucana) and any other breed they have handy). So technically those chicks are Easter Eggers which is what you want. : )

Last edited:
They can vary a lot in looks, but the majority are chipmunk striped. Some are blond, some dark almost black. You want to look for a pea comb, that will increase your chances of blue or green eggs. Other good signs are dark legs and muffs.

The ones the feed stores will label as "Aracauna or Ameraucauna" or any variation of the spelling of either, will all be Easter Eggers. They are typically chipmunk striped and have very fluffy cheeks.

Very fluffy Easter egger chick I picked up yesterday, not the typical Easter egger chick color but that's what I was looking for.

Less fluffy, equally as cute, yellow Easter egger chick. Yellow and has dark yellow stripes.
They can be virtually any color, but just look for the fluff on the face. :)

I will be headiheading back their today to pick up more supplies and a chicken coop to turn into a nice rabbit hutch for a bday present for my mom. This time I will take my phone and "just look" however they might come home with me...wouldn't want the store to sell them out and miss them.

What does a pea comb look like in day old chicks? And dark skin on their legs or dark fur?

What does a pea comb look like in day old chicks? And dark skin on their legs or dark fur?

Hi. You can't tell much about a comb on a day old chick. If it were me getting my first chicks i would want to make sure I bought the girls. If you buy straight run chicks (boys & girls mixed together) chances are you will wind up with multiple roosters. I would also ask which ones are good for the climate you live in. Some tolerate the cold better than others. Ask for info on each breed & check them out on the site here. Some lay more eggs than others & some have better temperaments than others. Don't worry about them running out, they can probably order more it's very early in the year still.

If you enlarge the great pic of the dark chick by shmccarthy, you can see the pea comb. It's more of a flat area at this point, vs a tiny narrow ridge of bumps on a straight comb. The width will be what you're looking for.

Usually dark skin on their legs, but some hatch with light colored legs. If you get a pea comb, and muffs, you should be good to go!

I like getting a variety of colors in chicks--as stated above, the dark one is darker than normal, but I've seen some of those dark mature hens and they're beautiful! One of the reasons I like EE so much, the variety of colors. I have hens from a kinda blue-tipped color to light light buff with white tips and tails, and shades between.

A quick question.... My ee girl had no muffs as a baby and has a straight comb....but now at 8 weeks she has feathers on her ears they aren't s big as tufts but they are there... Are this partial muffs? Partial tufts?

Back
Top Bottom