How would you finish this construction?

I was given a 4x4 A-frame coop on wheels, with the intention of raising the hinged side of the roof, and adding framing to increase the size. Once we got into it, the A frame had too many issues to make worth dealing with, such as some rot and ant issues.
So, now I have what is in the photos. It's 4 ft wide and about 5-1/2 ft long, for 22 sq ft. The plan is to house 4 Ausralorps. The height in front inside is 5 feet, and 4 ft in the back. My thoughts, that I wanted to run by everyone are these.
If I put a second level floor towards the back with about 20" of headspace underneath and a min of 18" of space at the very back, increasing as it moves towards the front , would they use both levels?
I was thinking about a 2ft wide door on the front left, and a roost front to back on the right hand side, with a poop board or tray underneath.
I'm also open to advice as to where you would place the nest box, first or second level, side, back, middle, corner, how high from the floor, inside orhanging out.
My goal is to learn from the knowlege you have gathered, rather than making my own major mistakes and then trying to fix them. Thanks for your input.

Attachments

• 20210520_191605.jpg
    20210520_191605.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210520_191543.jpg
    20210520_191543.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210520_191526.jpg
    20210520_191526.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 21
I wouldn't bother with multiple levels.

It takes about 3 1/2 to 4 feet of height to get things stacked up so that you've got enough base for bedding, nestboxes above the bedding, roost above the nestboxes, and ventilation over the birds' heads while they're sitting on the roost. :)

Not to mention the challenges of cleaning the back corners of a low space.

Free is always a good thing! I think you can make a great coop out of what you have.

If it was me, I would likely finish it out like this:
- Raise the coop off the ground. I would go about 30" so the floor clears a wheelbarrow for easier cleaning and less bending down.

- Walls - seeing that old window there inspired me to raise the wall framing on the two sides and frame a window opening that could utilize the glass. I'd make a hinged frame so the glass panel hinges upward and can be held open with a chain or prop stick. Both sides pretty much identical framing, so you have PLENTY of ventilation. I'd consider making the windows double-framed so the hardware cloth can be removed as a panel for access.

-Front side doors -- In my pic I've got a removable/hinged panel below the access door. This is to establish a "beltline" that holds in bedding below the doors that are used regularly - so no bedding spills out all the time. Chicken door is right next to it, then use a ramp for them to get in/out.

- Roof -- relocate the 2x4 headers front and back, so the framing is flush for exterior sheeting install. More importantly you want these headers sitting on top of king studs, to support the weight of the roof/joists; right now you're relying on sheer strength of the screws. I'd also change orientation of roof joists so they're upright, to provide more ventilation at roofline, cover openings with hardware cloth.

- Roosts - I was originally thinking left to right, but now thinking I'd go front to back on the access door side, held up with a simple bracket off the wall. This is in case you wanted to use a poop board, then everything is all lined up with the access door for easy chores.

- Nest - I'd probably make a simple box that hangs on the wall inside the coop on the right side about midway. It won't be under the roosts to get pooped on, will leave plenty of space for chickens to get through the chicken door freely and should be close enough to the access door to just reach inside and grab the eggs. Alternatively, if you made the window on that side with full access, you could open it up and reach inside.

Hope this all helps. Good luck!

COOP.jpg

First you might want to read my coop design errors article as both are similar in size.

There are so many variables but first you need to consider human needs and access to clean. My RIR's go under the roost box (it does nothing else) when it rains or bad weather. It's pretty impossible to clean... every time I clean the RIR nest box I remind myself to never build a coop from the internet.

My 12 Cinnamon Queen hens use the same cardboard box to lay in except for one that prefers the floor. Sometimes a few use the other box, they all quit using my fancy roll out nest box when the curtains came off. My RIR hens that still lay all use the roll out nest box.

Tons of images of my setups here. The CQ's have the best setup for coop and run but lack a yard at this time so that causes all kind of issues. We have to carry some to another side that's fenced in and do all sorts of stuff to entertain them. Just too many chickens for the space.

It sounds like you have enough space planned out for 4 chickens.

JT

First you might want to read my coop design errors article as both are similar in size.

There are so many variables but first you need to consider human needs and access to clean. My RIR's go under the roost box (it does nothing else) when it rains or bad weather. It's pretty impossible to clean... every time I clean the RIR nest box I remind myself to never build a coop from the internet.

My 12 Cinnamon Queen hens use the same cardboard box to lay in except for one that prefers the floor. Sometimes a few use the other box, they all quit using my fancy roll out nest box when the curtains came off. My RIR hens that still lay all use the roll out nest box.

Tons of images of my setups here. The CQ's have the best setup for coop and run but lack a yard at this time so that causes all kind of issues. We have to carry some to another side that's fenced in and do all sorts of stuff to entertain them. Just too many chickens for the space.

It sounds like you have enough space planned out for 4 chickens.

JT
Thank you. I viewed your design errors article. I will be sure that the roost is the highest thing to "roost" on, be aware of head space. My door is going to be walk in, and I'm only 5'4" tall. Nest box will be lower and easily accesible, and I'm using power pro deck screws for assembly, so things adjustable if something doesn't work out

Short answer is maybe.

It's more practical to set the whole thing on legs 2' tall so they use the underneath during the day as well as whatever run you build.

Since the coop is just big enough for the birds I would do external nest boxes.
Short answer is maybe.

It's more practical to set the whole thing on legs 2' tall so they use the underneath during the day as well as whatever run you build.

Since the coop is just big enough for the birds I would do external nest boxes.
Yes, it is going to be off the ground with about 70 sq feet of run, and a screened in geodome that we can move around.

Back
Top Bottom