Pics
But until their homes are cleaned up/rebuilt, there's nowhere to put it.

Not everyone affected will be in a shelter, but even in shelters, there will be things needed. Clean, dry clothes; water that is safe to drink; food that doesn't need refrigeration; soap to take a shower with; a blanket to sleep under; toilet paper! Yes, people can survive without most of these things, but part of "surviving" is preserving a mental state that keeps you functioning as a rational human being. Best case scenario would be for rescue groups to be able to buy this stuff by the truckload from stores just outside of the affected areas; that's a win for the stores and the rescue folks can get just what's needed without having to collect, sort, store, and transport. Unfortunately, there will always be people that will take advantage, and it can be hard to know who to trust.

All I keep thinking is "Houston, we have a problem"

Apparently, you and I have a similar sense of humor (I just didn't do it in print).;)

Last edited:
Houston we have a problem is right! Lol. The hens name is Miss. Harvey! The water went down on my streets over night. I'm at the grocery store waiting in line now for just over an hour. It's not even open yet. There is still high water rescues going on. The people in line around me: some have houses that flooded...some did not. A lot even list at least on vehicle. No one is at work and everyone is talking about wanting to get back to work. No one has flood insurance. This is just my neighborhood peeps. We all are just fearfully to be alive and not crammed into a shelter right now. I still don't have I turned or TV but I'm over that already. I could be in a lot worse shape. They better have TP left when I finally get into this store. I got DH to paint the bottom half of my dinner room yesterday. Woot woot. I wonder if we can make it to home depot to get some paint for the top half...if they will be open yet. What I'm really hoping is that he is able to go back to work tonight. They had his plant shut down yesterday.

Are you sure your not from here or did you just soak up a lot of the best qualities we have down here

T'Marie,
No, ma'am. Air Force brat. Moved all around when growing up. But my teen age years were SW Louisiana.

I was born way north of I-10. Way up yonder (wish I could type the Mamou accent!!) around Shreveport.

Good people. Fell in love & after 25 years, in spite of moving to Houston, we're still together. But I'm not sure it'll last. Ask me in another 25 years.

You can feel the relief in the air. Thanks for the prayers as we sort this out and count our blessings!

T'Marie,
No, ma'am. Air Force brat. Moved all around when growing up. But my teen age years were SW Louisiana.

I was born way north of I-10. Way up yonder (wish I could type the Mamou accent!!) around Shreveport.

Good people. Fell in love & after 25 years, in spite of moving to Houston, we're still together. But I'm not sure it'll last. Ask me in another 25 years.

You can feel the relief in the air. Thanks for the prayers as we sort this out and count our blessings!
It's so nice out. ,
@BantyChooks might actually be able to survive in this weather. Some of these dummies are wearing jackets in this line.

and the rescue can get just what's needed without having to collect, sort, store, and transport.
Yes, I was just addressing the directive for people up north not to donate things at this time. While rescue people will be fetching people from their houses, and doing things in the shelters, nobody will have time to go through clothes or see what's been donated or distribute it, and spending money transporting it when it might not be used would be a poor use of limited resources. If people are "camped out" in schools and the like they might get moved again, they won't want lots of "stuff" to have to cart around. It will take ages for things to settle down and get fixed. That'll be when people might want "stuff" to replace what they've lost - when they've got their homes back to put the stuff in. It's logistically very difficult to sort this type of thing out, things seem to be going a bit more smoothly than they did with Katrina. Hopefully the recovery will also go smoothly and people can get their lives back ASAP.

Houston we have a problem is right! Lol. The hens name is Miss. Harvey! The water went down on my streets over night. I'm at the grocery store waiting in line now for just over an hour. It's not even open yet. There is still high water rescues going on. The people in line around me: some have houses that flooded...some did not. A lot even list at least on vehicle. No one is at work and everyone is talking about wanting to get back to work. No one has flood insurance. This is just my neighborhood peeps. We all are just fearfully to be alive and not crammed into a shelter right now. I still don't have I turned or TV but I'm over that already. I could be in a lot worse shape. They better have TP left when I finally get into this store. I got DH to paint the bottom half of my dinner room yesterday. Woot woot. I wonder if we can make it to home depot to get some paint for the top half...if they will be open yet. What I'm really hoping is that he is able to go back to work tonight. They had his plant shut down yesterday.
So glad things are looking up for you Kiki, continued prayers for all that were less fortunate that have lost homes & lives. Godspeed in the coming months for digging out from this horrible disaster. After seeing the wrath of Katrina 12 years ago my heart is very heavy for you all. Prayers for strength as the waters receed & uncover what might have been your home or business. May God bless you all with renewed faith in mankind & the goodness of so many people. May all looters be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, but if nothing else, know in your heart that these individual will have to stand in front of God on judgement day. May God be with each & every one of you going down this road. Call upon him on those days when you just don't think you can bare anymore. :hugs

Not everyone affected will be in a shelter, but even in shelters, there will be things needed. Clean, dry clothes; water that is safe to drink; food that doesn't need refrigeration; soap to take a shower with; a blanket to sleep under; toilet paper! Yes, people can survive without most of these things, but part of "surviving" is preserving a mental state that keeps you functioning as a rational human being. Best case scenario would be for rescues to be able to buy this stuff by the truckload from stores just outside of the affected areas; that's a win for the stores and the rescue can get just what's needed without having to collect, sort, store, and transport. Unfortunately, there will always be people that will take advantage, and it can be hard to know who to trust.

Apparently, you and I have a similar sense of humor (I just didn't do it in print).;)
Clothing, blankets, etc. pose storage & distribution problems to be of any use to those not in shelters
Sending money to agencies opens the door for scumbags to line their own pockets.
Why not send money to churches in the Houston area?

Back
Top Bottom