Pics
Folks have to fend for themselves in Alaska. I have a friend whose sister lives there. He told me that one day she was out driving and came across a dead moose in the road. She took out a chain saw, cut it up (it was frozen), and took it home to put in the freezer.
DH told me a story about a man who would spray paint all road kill on the way to work with orange, so he could tell what was fresh on the way home. no orange spray paint, was fresh road kill.

Smart man. Can't be eating unsavory flesh.

If they are road kill in Alaska in the winter they don't bloat up! Just might get freezer burned before you can take it home!

There was a roadkill deer around here that got hit during one of our 100+ degree heat waves and was in sun all day. That thing looked like a balloon.. was so gross. The vultures liked it though!

But back to the main thread; how's everyone holding up?

All my house guests will be gone by tomorrow. The group that left already still has water in two of their three houses, but one is 2 story. Everyone will stay in the dry house, closer to where they all need to be to start repairs and clean up. Total loss of two homes, with at least heavy damage to two more. Might end up having to raze those too, due to moisture. Time will tell.

All my house guests will be gone by tomorrow. The group that left already still has water in two of their three houses, but one is 2 story. Everyone will stay in the dry house, closer to where they all need to be to start repairs and clean up. Total loss of two homes, with at least heavy damage to two more. Might end up having to raze those too, due to moisture. Time will tell.
Gut, before you raze, unless you just want a new home. Ours was older and did not want to lose arch detail. Gutting first gave us options. We made a few changes and were able to keep parts of the house that were grandfathered in that we would have lost. Also found out there was mold in the insolation on the 2nd floor. We were assured that wasn't possible by FEMA before we started project. Of course we sat in water for at least 3 weeks before it went down.

When the water goes down, groups of people will show up to help you gut, if that is what you want to do. All from other places offering free service. Many see this as a way to pay it forward and just the right thing to do. This happened after Katrina for about a year or so. Take them up on their offer, they have traveled far and wide to help. It's really a win win situation.

one more recovery tip: anone you are paying, check for license and insurance before hiring, also make sure you have a contract you are happy with before signing (but have a signed contract before they start work) and don't pay anyone for substandard work. Can't pass inspection, they fix it or they don't get paid. none of this applies to volunteers.

Back
Top Bottom