I’m so worried.... what do I do???

DuckMochi

Songster
6 Years
Jun 16, 2017
Tempe, AZ
So roughly 3 months ago our family added a pekin duck to our small flock so that our mallard hen had another duck since her sister passed away. We found out a few weeks later that this pekin was a drake. My parents were worried about ducklings but I assured them that that would only happen if Billy, our mallard, were to collect a bunch of eggs together which wouldn’t happen since we pick them up everyday. So I didn’t think there was much to worry about... until now. Sunni, the pekin drake, is only about 4 months old but that means in a couple months he will become fully mature and be ready to mate... after watching him grow up and realizing how big pekin ducks actually are, now I’m terrified. Billy is our only other duck in the flock and Sunni is 3x her size. He could seriously damage her if he mates with her! And not only that, he’ll probably do it a lot which can make he sick or worse... thinking about it is starting to really terrify me. I don’t know what to do.

And before anyone tells me this is what I should do, no, I am NOT getting rid of either of them. They are huge parts of my life, they are pretty much service/therapy pets for me at this point. If I had to get rid of either of them I wouldn’t be able to handle it. I’ve already lost one duck and I can’t do it again... some people on a Facebook group I am for duck owners in my state said to get another hen (probably another pekin) so that Billy isn’t destroyed. But my parents would never let me get another duck. They hate owning chickens so much already, it’s too much work and we’re just not cut out for it. They would NEVER allow another bird. I’m so torn... I don’t know what to do. Is there any advice anyone can give me?

C866C1E2-8F52-4CE8-9563-C40BE46BA93E.jpeg

Here’s a picture of the two side by side for size comparison.

I don't think it's a good idea to keep them together. Your hen is going to get hurt. Do they always free range? The ideas that come to mind are penning them up separately, seeing if a vet will capon the Drake, or removing him for the welfare of your animals. The Drake may also try to make with your chicken hens and damage them as well due to the difference in anatomy. Sometimes we have to think of the safety of our pets over what we want. (I suffer from anxiety and depression and know personally what it is to bond with and then lose an animal, so I don't say that lightly).

I worry about this with my two, speedy snd fancy. I'm trying to work out how I'll afford and be able to care for one or two more, quickly too as fancy will be 5 months in a week or so... i might end up redoing my backyard soon, cause 4 inside is way to many

Muscovy females are usually around 4-6 lbs Muscovy drakes anywhere from 10lbs up. I have never seen any problems from my Scovy drake mating with his scovy females they are very compatible even with size difference. In a pool is always much better though water helps the females.

I wouldn't worry so much about Sunny and Billy mating I think she could handle him but he is going to be very hormonal and will want to mate a lot which will wear her down that is why maybe you could try and rehome your chickens since your parents aren't too keen on having them anyway? and then get a few more females ducks for Sunny boy?

How large is your coop? Is there any way you could pen off a portion of their coop or run or use a dog kennel to separate Sunni in the worst parts of the breeding season?

@ViolinPlayer123 ive already mentioned separating him from the others when I got worried about him mating with the chickens and they said no. They don’t care if he mates with them and hurts them and it’s horrible like... I don’t know what to do. I wish I had my own place but that’s impossible at the moment

Back
Top Bottom