I can't seem to peel my hard boiled eggs - page 8 Solution!

I bring the water to a full rolling boil, slip eggs in with a spoon and bring back to a boil. Turn the heat off, set timer for 15-20 minutes depending on quantity and size. When timer sound, drain off hot water, run under cold water till cool enough to handle. Crack what you what to use immediately and let sit in cold water for a few minutes. Refrigerate what you're using later. Dh says he never has a problem with peeling them and there is never a gray ring around the yolk. I usually do a dozen large, mixed colors at a time.

OK all, i haven't tried this one yet, but it came from a good magazine:

Steam fresh eggs the same time as you would normally boil. Eliminates trying to fish them out and you can just put the whole basket under the cold running water all at once when done!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but to anyone who might be reading this is my method.
Boil eggs for about 20 min.
Drain and run under cool water for 5 min.
Just cover eggs with cool water and place in freezer for about 10-15 min.
Run cooled eggs under warm water before and after cracking, just a few Seconds. Your goal is to warm the shell and not the egg.
When it gets hard to peel again run under warm water for a few more seconds.
Some cold eggs peek easier while being ran under warm water. I think this has something to do with the shell expanding away from the egg when it warms up. My 4 year old son has no problems this way.

Boiling the water before adding the eggs rapid boil 13min then straight into an ice water bath afterward for at least 10min before peeing WORKS!!!!! I tried it today on half a doz day old eggs!!! :)

This is by far the best method I have ever used for making easy-to-peel hard "boiled" eggs, and believe me I've tried 'em all....the hole-poking method, the add-the-salt method, the add-vinegar method, the boil-old-eggs method, although I have to admit I never even heard of the add-baking-soda method. But why waste salt, vinegar and baking soda when water alone will do? With this method, a few were still a tiny bit hard to peel but nowhere near as hard as with other methods. And with this method NONE of the eggs got torn up, even the ones that were a little harder to peel. I have to admit I did not use eggs laid the same day with this method..... That'll be my next experiment.

I got this off Recipezaar.com by a poster named "Secret Agent."

Put eggs in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer. Do not allow eggs to come to a boil (although I did). Leave at a simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, dump hot water and fill pan with cool water several times until eggs are cool enough to be handled. Cover the pot and gently shake pan up and down until the hard sound of the eggs hitting the pot changes to the softer sound of cracked eggs hitting the pot. Fill pot again with cold water and drain (I didn't do this step.) Shells should slide right off.

HTH!

P.S. In case it matters, the eggs I used were totally at room temperature.
I like that idea of shaking the pot to crack the shells up! SO gonna try that next time!! My son showed me how to peel garlic cloves like that. I never thought of doing it with eggs.
smile.png

The only thing I did differently is to bring the water to a full boil, then remove from heat and let sit in covered pan for 30 minutes. Then I did the cool-off as described (only I just ran cold water overflowing the pan for a couple minutes, then added a cup of ice) and let that stand for 25 minutes. Then I smacked each egg with the back of a spoon and returned it to the cold water for a couple minutes. Next time I'm going at this point pour off the water and shake the pan to crack the eggs all up.I think we're supposed to drain the water out first, right, Goodychickenshz? Otherwise I might have a mess...Looking forward to trying this! I'm so excited to NOT have to buy eggs when I need to hard boil!!
wee.gif

Just tried this and it works: Hard boiled eggs

Get a muffin tray...put and egg in each slot.....325 degrees in the oven for 30 mins....you may note that where the egg touches the metal, it may have a small brown spot...the yokes will always be perfectand easy to peel....got this from the food network....

I use a 2 qrt staniless steel pot. I fill it half full, place it on a cold burner and add eggs. I make sure the water covers the eggs by 1 inch and will add more water if needed. I turn the burner on high. When the water begins to boil, I turn the temp to medium. and boil for 10 minutes. At the end of the ten minutes I remove the pot from the burner, drain the water and add very cold tap water. I drain the pot a second time and add very cold tap water and let sit 5 minutes. At this point I can peel the eggs or place them in a container and refridgerate until I need them. When I peel them I tap the big end of the egg on the counter several times and then do the small end the same way. I then roll and tap the egg around the middle until the whole shell is cracked. I lift the shell starting at the large in, breaking the membrane if needed. The shell comes right off. The yolks are yellow with no discoloration and the whites are not rubbery at all.

I have tried poking holes, adding salt, putting in ice water as soon as the get off the stove, all with minimal success, tonight I tried steaming and it worked like a charm! Steamed in a veggie basket for 15 minutes, ran under cold water, an it was like magic! No chunks missing, no nothing but clean peeled eggs.

Hey, I have had a very hard time peeling fresh eggs and I mean right from the nest, so I gently crack each egg before I place them into cold water them start cooking them then when done they peel perfect

Back
Top Bottom