I got 1 new chick!! yea! Now what?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kidsbme3, Apr 17, 2009.

1. kidsbme3

kidsbme3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Forsyth County, NC
    I am incubating 4 different types of eggs, blue, grey-green, tan and white. I don't know breeds. Yet. They were given to me by an old farmer by way of my grandmother's boyfriend. Anywho, One has hatched and chirps its full head off unless I am holding it! What do I do? I'm conserned it is going to stress itself out.[​IMG]

2. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    UK
    Not much more you can do, buy it a buddy, or stick in a soft toy for it to cuddle up to [​IMG]

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Do you know if any of the other eggs are going to hatch or not? If not, you need to go to your local farm supply store and purchase a friend for the little fellow.

Chickens and chicks are very social creatures and need companionship to be happy. [​IMG]

BTW, welcome to our site! [​IMG]

4. Mikhail

Mikhail Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Its imprinted on you (thinks its a human & that you're its mom) I once had only 1 duckling hatch (from a natural incubation) and I didn't know about imprinting then. She imprinted on me and quacks whenever I'm away even though she has a duck friend now.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  5. OutdoorFun4

OutdoorFun4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Southern Maine
    I agree. Buy it a friend or give it to someone with others. Chickens and chicks need to be with companions.

Good Luck!

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hello, and [​IMG] from South Carolina!

Are you fairly confident the others are going to hatch? If so, just wait for them. If they don't, then get another chick or two.

The chick may be noisy because it is cold. The brooder should be about 95 degrees. It's usually a good idea to leave the hatched chicks in the incubator until all are hatched or you know the others aren't going to. You don't really want to keep opening the incubator for the last 3 days. A chick can go 2-3 days before it needs food and water at first- it's still living off the absorbed yolk.

Hope they all hatch for you, good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by