I got 1 new chick!! yea! Now what?

kidsbme3

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Forsyth County, NC
I am incubating 4 different types of eggs, blue, grey-green, tan and white. I don't know breeds. Yet. They were given to me by an old farmer by way of my grandmother's boyfriend. Anywho, One has hatched and chirps its full head off unless I am holding it! What do I do? I'm conserned it is going to stress itself out.
sad.png

Do you know if any of the other eggs are going to hatch or not? If not, you need to go to your local farm supply store and purchase a friend for the little fellow.

Chickens and chicks are very social creatures and need companionship to be happy.
smile.png

BTW, welcome to our site!
frow.gif

Its imprinted on you (thinks its a human & that you're its mom) I once had only 1 duckling hatch (from a natural incubation) and I didn't know about imprinting then. She imprinted on me and quacks whenever I'm away even though she has a duck friend now.

Last edited:
Hello, and
welcome-byc.gif
from South Carolina!

Are you fairly confident the others are going to hatch? If so, just wait for them. If they don't, then get another chick or two.

The chick may be noisy because it is cold. The brooder should be about 95 degrees. It's usually a good idea to leave the hatched chicks in the incubator until all are hatched or you know the others aren't going to. You don't really want to keep opening the incubator for the last 3 days. A chick can go 2-3 days before it needs food and water at first- it's still living off the absorbed yolk.

Hope they all hatch for you, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom