I got my babies!!!

Sami's Mommy

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
Iowa
As some of you have probably read, I was looking to get a pair of muscovy ducklings today, but NOBODY had them :'( I decided I wanted some duckies anyway so I looked at what breeds were there in the two places I could find them. One was some runners, the other had fawn runners, white mallard, some other mallard, and silver appleyards. I asked him which were the calmest of the bunch and he said the runners and appleyards, so we got the appleyards. They are approximately 2 days old and adorable! They are eating and drinking good so far (chick starter and water with crushed up niacin) as far as I can tell. Their current set up looks like this
but the lid needs to close and I think it's currently too hot in there. How do I put the lamp higher? Or what else would you suggest?

More pics for your enjoyment...

on my knees...
playtime!

As some of you have probably read, I was looking to get a pair of muscovy ducklings today, but NOBODY had them :'( I decided I wanted some duckies anyway so I looked at what breeds were there in the two places I could find them. One was some runners, the other had fawn runners, white mallard, some other mallard, and silver appleyards. I asked him which were the calmest of the bunch and he said the runners and appleyards, so we got the appleyards. They are approximately 2 days old and adorable! They are eating and drinking good so far (chick starter and water with crushed up niacin) as far as I can tell. Their current set up looks like this but the lid needs to close and I think it's currently too hot in there. How do I put the lamp higher? Or what else would you suggest?

More pics for your enjoyment...

on my knees...
playtime!
They are probably going to be out of that small space in about 2 weeks if not sooner, go buy the largest plastic tote you can find. and unless you have cats or a dog that can jump high it won't need to have a lid closed. but if it does then cut a hole it the lid and place plastic poultry fence over the hole and tape or staple down. you donot want them to over heat. They sure are adorable, Congrats..

Last edited:
The aquarium is just till we move Friday, then I will have a door to my room. We have a cat who might decide to attack them if they don't have a cover before then

For the lamp I have a clip on desk lamp so its very easy to adjust if its to hot or to cold. It was about 11 dollars and works great

I had a desk lamp on them at first, but the temps only made it to about 82 and they were cold so I bought a real heat lamp, but now it's overly hot I think. My thermometer broke so I have to get a new one as well.

Back
Top Bottom