I know this has been discussed before, but,

naturemom

Songster
13 Years
May 28, 2007
northern IL
One of my runner ducks has pipped, but it's more toward the small end of the egg. There are only 2 left. My first hatch only 2 made it this far and only one hatched. The one that didn't had pipped the wrong end and never made it any further. It looks like the membrane might be dried out, but I'm such a novice I'm afraid I might be wrong. I've looked through other threads about this, so I know some people might say help it, and others will say don't. I just need some virtual hand-holding.

I had a chick that pipped on the wrong end. I helped it out and it is thriving. If you haven't made yourself familar with how to help please read the stickies on the subject.
cool.png

I've read the stickies. I guess what I'm not sure about is, if the shell is broken, but the membrane is intact, and you aren't supposed to remove membrane, just shell, then what would be gained by doing so? It looks like it's the membrane that's the problem. For the moment, I'm going to wait.
I just hope 1 hatches. I have a lonely 4 week old ducky waiting for a friend.

So far, so good. I went in to check a little while ago. The egg was in a different position than when I had last looked, and then it wiggled and peeped! A bit later I checked again and the pip had grown. Maybe it's going to make it on it's own. I hope, I hope, I hope!

Still peeping and wiggling, but not much progress. I can see movement in the hole when it peeps. The membrane does look dry. I've managed to spray a bit of water on it through the vent holes Around 4:30 am and again just now. Is that the right thing to do?

ETA: I don't think I'll do that anymore, because I don't want to drown it. I need to leave for a few hours to work. If there's no progress, I think I might help. On the intervention thread someone posted pics of an egg with a dry membrane, and it looks like mine.

Last edited:
Have you removed any of the shell? If so, have the veins died back? If you haven't removed any of the shell I would. If the veins have died back then open the membrane as well.

When you remove the shell only you can see what is going on better. If you break the membrane and the veins haven't died back then you know to stop. If the veins haven't died off then the baby could die if they are broken (bleed out). Plus, by removing the shell the chick will have more room, as the membrane will flex, to zip and hatch on it's own if possible.

Good luck with the little one.
fl.gif

I went ahead and removed a bit of shell. Stopped when there was blood-just a pin-sized drop. I used a q-tip to moisten the membrane. Now it's back in the mostly wrapped in a wet washcloth. Still plenty of peeping and beak movement. The humidity didn't even drop much. I'm off to tromp through the woods with a bunch of kids. I hope it's doing ok when I get back.

I'm home now. The duck is still alive, but has not progressed at all, so I removed shell all the way around (basically zipped it). The membrane is still intact except in the spot where the pip was and the beak is sticking out there. It's still peeping. What now? Should the duck be able to break through the membrane on its own? It seems like it's trying to get out but doesn't know to move it's beak around the shell. It just keeps sticking it out in one spot.
I wet the membrane again with a q-tip and now it's back in the bator wrapped in a warm wet cloth.

As long as it seems strong, leave it. Let those veins die off good first and give the little one a chance to do it's thing. It may just be sitting there because it isn't fully ready to come out yet. If the chick seems to be going down hill then I would say to assist somemore.

Back
Top Bottom