I think my chick is stuck in the egg!!

Aug 17, 2019
Middle of North Carolina
My chick is chirp crying like crazy. It’s has been in the same position in the egg for (at least) 4 hours. Is he stuck? Normal i would say he needs more time but i’ve never seen and heard a chick cry this much while in a egg. I know the photo isn’t good but it gives you an view.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 12
Has he just pipped or did he start to zip and now he's making no progress? If the latter, he's probably stuck and needs some help. If the former, he might just not be ready yet, since it can take up to 24 hours from when they pip to when they are ready to zip.

Has he just pipped or did he start to zip and now he's making no progress? If the latter, he's probably stuck and needs some help. If the former, he might just not be ready yet, since it can take up to 24 hours from when they pip to when they are ready to zip.
It looks like he had just started on another crack of the egg. He chirps loudly and then keeps moving his beak in and out. The membrane looks yellow and a little brown Should i open the incubator and feel if the membrane is dry?

It looks like he had just started on another crack of the egg. He chirps loudly and then keeps moving his beak in and out. The membrane looks yellow and a little brown Should i open the incubator and feel if the membrane is dry?

You could take a look if you're worried he's stuck. It does look a little dry in the picture. Do you have something like coconut oil you could spread on the membrane to keep it moist?

In my signature is a link to an article I wrote on assisted hatching, you might want to read it just in case.

You could take a look if you're worried he's stuck. It does look a little dry in the picture. Do you have something like coconut oil you could spread on the membrane to keep it moist?

In my signature is a link to an article I wrote on assisted hatching, you might want to read it just in case.
Should i try to raise the humidity a lot?

Have a good read of this article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
How far into the 'zip' are you? Hatching can take a lot of time and not drying out is important right now. If you feel they are struggling, all the others have hatched and this one is 'slowing down' and has stopped making noise, you can make an 'emergency hole' in the top of the egg away from the pip to supply oxygen, but be aware that once the brooder is opened, your humidity will 'drop' and isn't likely to come back up. Betadine or any antiseptic without pain killer can be used to re-moisten the membrane if you do end up assisting, but give them as much time as they need - there's a 3 day food supply in there so as long as they have oxygen, they have plenty of time to work their way out.

Should i try to raise the humidity a lot?

What's your humidity like now?

I open the incubator when I have to assist and usually the humidity will bounce back quickly, so if you have it at the appropriate levels, taking a quick peek to see what's going on with this egg shouldn't hurt.

Thanks for linking that! That's the one I wrote that's in my signature that I was talking about, but I'm at work and didn't have the link handy.

I open the incubator when I have to assist and usually the humidity will bounce back quickly, so if you have it at the appropriate levels, taking a quick peek to see what's going on with this egg shouldn't hurt.

Thanks for linking that! That's the one I wrote that's in my signature that I was talking about, but I'm at work and didn't have the link handy.
Cheers, It's a great article.

I think it’s good to mention it’s day 24 now and i can’t tell rn bc the hygrometer is knocked down but ik it’s high

I think it’s good to mention it’s day 24 now and i can’t tell rn bc the hygrometer is knocked down but ik it’s high

So these guys are late hatching? I would take a look and see what's going on. What was your temperature throughout incubation? Is your incubator still air or forced air?

When you open it up to take a look, you can reset your hygrometer so you can see the humidity too :)

Back
Top Bottom