I think my young rooster is killing my hens?

Terryjr

Chirping
Jun 30, 2020
We have last 3 hens in as many days. Hens in hiding positions under logs or in their dust "cave" with heads pulled off laying nearby. No other signs of trama. My coop/run is impenetrable, no signs of damage to bird cloth, no holes larger than a mouse hole. This leaves me to believe something inside the coop/run is killing them. The rooster is from eggs raised this summer by a broody, she was latest killed. One of the new egg pullets was killed too. All the victims were lower on the pecking order. No signs of aggression with other chickens or even the rooster. But he's biggest and the only rooster so he's my #1 suspect. I have him free ranging on his own at the moment and others locked in run.

I agree that a weasel (or mink) could easily use the rat tunnels to gain entry. My guess is weasel, unless you live near a creek or other body of water where mink thrive. Mustelids are known to remove heads and not eat the carcass. Your best bet to identfy the culprit is to put a camera(s) inside the coop, and camera(s) outside the coop focused on the tunnels. The rat tunnels need to be blocked off asap. Very sorry for your losses.

question about your chickens, are they allowed to go in and out? I saw the rooster was out, not sure if I saw another one or if the was same bird or not.

That gap in the wood, could allow a predator to get in-mouse, rat, snake, weasel, mink, etc

I would think that the "chipmunk or rat" holes would also allow predators access, unless they have been filled.

I would agree that it is not the rooster

Would well fed squirrel size rats take down a chicken? They laugh at the largest rats traps, I might order a Uhlik Repeater trap for the tune of $260. Or poison but im worried the chickens or other local wildlife would find it

Attachments

• DSCF0471.JPG
    DSCF0471.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 16
We use RING cameras (wired & wireless) which you can see on a computer or smartphone app. You can watch live, or it can record when there’s action & will notify you in seconds. You must have fast internet though as its all via WIFI.
We have a wired camera in the coop, and 2 wireless in the run. Plus many around the rest of the property. We like knowing if anyone or anything steps foot….

Back
Top Bottom