I will always miss my little girls R.I.P. Dowie and Leia

Dowie

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
These two girls were the funniest, strangest and most endearing pets I've ever had. I never thought a chicken would wiggle its way into my heart, but these girls did. They were pekins, and they were both so dear to me.

168.jpg

They were glued together at the feathery hip, and would roam the lawn like little turkish-panted hoovers. They chatted to each other; they would roost on my wrist. Leia was starting to jump up next to me and chat. Unfortunately I had an unsuccessful mixed flock, and a big white hen started tearing out and eating Dowie's tail feathers. I had to seperate the flocks, and the two little girls would go into a cat box every night, and then come inside where they were safe.

Every morning my DH would get up and they would sing to him 'ooooh? ooooooh?'. So sweet!
love.gif
Then he would release them into their pen (Leia would always leap from the box, she was a little punk, always chasing other birds and jumping up and down and complaining for more food).

One night DH and I left them outside in the cat box. I said to him that night, "I have a bad feeling about a fox, we should bring them in." He dismissed my concern, and unfortunately, I also dismissed my concern.

At 3.30 that morning I heard Dowie cluck for the last time. I knew in my heart she would already be dead by the time I got there, as I heard the banging of the fox fleeing over the back fence. I saw Dowie in her last moments. Leia was found a few metres away near the fence. We buried them immediately, and now there is an empty pen and they will never come back.
hit.gif

I loved them so much, they were little feathery angels. Some animals are truly innocent, and through their innocence we regain our own. I will always miss you Leia and Dowie. I'm so sorry I didn't keep you safe.

Dowie with her former best friend Lucy Rose, before the flock got split up:

006.jpg

Leia the smart aleck posing:

165.jpg

What a bittersweet tribute for two lovely gals. Sorry for your loss.

So sorry to hear about the fox. Isn't it strange how we get those feelings, and you feel guilty about not acting upon them.
hugs.gif

Quote:
What I learnt was ALWAYS act on gut instinct, even if it seems stupid.

Quote:
That's a great way of putting it!

I am very, very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately I have also let my other half 'dismiss' my concerns a few times, and more often than not nothing good came out of it. I believe we girls have a much stronger sense of intuition about such things, even though we're often called "worrywarts" for that.

Please don't beat yourself up, personally I have made mistakes before too and I hope I have grown a little bit wiser (and not ashamed to insist if I feel (exactly FEEL) that something needs to be done differently for my babies).

Please know that Leia and Dowie are indeed angels now and as such they will remain. I can feel how much loved they were and they spent all of their life surrounded by love from you. Maybe it didn't last long enough, but it was a fantastic life to live.

Quote:
That's a great way of putting it!

I am very, very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately I have also let my other half 'dismiss' my concerns a few times, and more often than not nothing good came out of it. I believe we girls have a much stronger sense of intuition about such things, even though we're often called "worrywarts" for that.

Please don't beat yourself up, personally I have made mistakes before too and I hope I have grown a little bit wiser (and not ashamed to insist if I feel (exactly FEEL) that something needs to be done differently for my babies).

Please know that Leia and Dowie are indeed angels now and as such they will remain. I can feel how much loved they were and they spent all of their life surrounded by love from you. Maybe it didn't last long enough, but it was a fantastic life to live.

Thanks Dudu and everyone else. From now on I will be a proud worrywart and a better chicken mama. I am so grateful for BYC - most people don't understand how traumatic it is to lose a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom