If I Get Call Ducks As Adults, Will I Have To Clip Their Wings Or.....

Dang, I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. I'm not keeping them penned up I don't think. I'll let them free range. Hopefully the predators won't get them.
Got another question though, if they did fly away, I have no neighbors. I have a huge yard with a even huger field with a little pond in the valley of the field. From what ive been reading they will probably make there way to the pond, hopefully though, they come back. So my question.....If they do fly away, will they come back on their own or will I have to go get them?

Thanks,
Cole.

My male white call has his wing clipped and a net over the top of his run becuse we have 3 kinds of hawk, bald eagles and owls plus loads of ground predators. I wouldnt risk their safety free ranging and hope nothing got them, or that if they "flew away" that they would return on ther own.

I rescued a call duck that someone found on the expressway. He was injured but not badly. I kept him for about a week. Then he got out of the pen and ran straight across the yard. I was out there WITH scissors to clip his wings- and watched him fly over the fence into the neighbors yard. He came out to help me catch him- and the duck flew out of his yard and I never found him. About five blocks from here is a large large pond in the middle of a golf course. I hope he made it there. And about a half mile from here is a house that has dozens of ducks. I hope he made it there.

Good luck- I have three female muscovies that have to have their wings clipped. You only have to do it after they molt- the feathers dont grow back in until they molt again. My male is too heavy to fly. He would come down on something like a ton of bricks.
ep.gif

Quote:
I can tell you right now-if they fly away and make their way to that pond you will NEVER get them back unless you trap them to get them-They will Never come back on their own-they have now just found freedom and won't give it up. If you fully free-range them expect mortalities-you will lose them one by one or all in one night or day from the predator birds in the air or on the ground kind. If you don't want to follow the advice of the folks who already have them-Maybe you should re-think getting them if your not preparred to house/care for them properly. I mean why get them if your not willing to protect them-your hopes are not a reality Im sorry to say. I only say these things to prevent you from a terrible heartache you are going to face when they are killed because they were left to fend for themselves without proper protection. Like I said before I would be devestated if something got to mine due to lack of protection and care-I couldn't forgive myself
hit.gif

Sonew... ive seen some good tutorials but I have a vet within 10 min so the I wanted to see it first hand .. It looks easy.. Ill take a pic of a wing to show u what it looks like.. I only did One wing ... he onlly charged me for the office call and it only took him like 5 min... they can still get off the ground alittle bit and kinda fly a few feet but thats it....

Quote:
That sounds great! Thank you so much! Their pen is 30 x 15 for 3 of them and 4 chickens -its 6 feet tall and I dont want them flying at me when I walk in !!! they fly at me when I used to come home-they've been in call duckie jail in the barm ever since they escaped!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom