Ignorant people make me nuts...

Chicken Lil

Songster
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Why is it so many people think having chickens is unhealthy?
he.gif

Okay on friday morning I got up and got ready for work. When I was putting on my coat I suddenly got really sick, and had my head in the porcelain pot for the next half hour. Which really sucked as I hadn't even had anything but a cup of tea yet, so there wasn't much to but dry heaves. Anyway this went on and off all morning.

I was supposed to have lunch with a good friend of mine so I called to cancel. When I told her what was going on, and that I was not sure what caused it, she suggested it was from my chickens!!
rant.gif

Than when I spoke with one of my co workers to get the status on a report, she also suggested that my chickens must have made me sick!

This is absolute hogwash! My hens are very healthy, there house and coop are kept clean. I always wash up well after handling them, and it wouldn't be the eggs as we all eat them, and I was the only one sick.

Actually I think it may have been a reaction to the increase in one of my meds, and that I hadn't eaten anything yet. I usually eat before taking my medicine, but I was running late, and figured I'd eat my egg sandwich in the car.

I just got annoyed with how many people have misconceptions about raising chickens, and assume they are dirty animals.
rant.gif

I've had the same cats for between 10-15 years and to this day, every time I get sick, my grandmother insists that it is because of the cats 'sleeping on my head.' I'm not sure where she got the idea that they sleep on my head, or why she won't drop it, but every time I get the flu, it's from the cats.

I also have seasonal allergies that she says are from the cats. I guess I'm only allergic to them in the spring?

But, she likes dogs, so she doesn't blame any of my illnesses on the dog. The dog can do no wrong.

Luckily, she grew up with chickens so I think she'll leave me alone about them. Maybe I will tell her they sleep on my head with the cats.

Back
Top Bottom