Ill Chicken

lulu1642

Chirping
Sep 30, 2019
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

PomPom a 12 week old Jersey Giant is not well! Wanted some advice on anything further I can do to help her. What I have done so far:

Noticed her hunched and fluffed up, lethargic, eyes shut on occasion, eyes seem ok maybe a little swollen - she had full crop and poo seems normal.

Came indoors yesterday has heat and bed
given 1/4 tablet of asprin - should I give more?
access to diluted colloidal water plus poultry tonic - am presenting this to her every hour
scrambled egg with crushed 1/4 tablet of asprin today - not yet eaten will try and ensure she does today
poo still normal
checked for mites couldn't see anything.
also have chick food with worm powder in.....should that be ok at the moment?

She seems the same today - so far.....I can take to a vet but not sure how long to wait if at all.

Any advice welcome.....thanks in advance

Lou

Sorry to hear about Pom Pom. Could you provide us with some more information?

How long has she been acting like this? Do you have a few pictures of her, or a video? Could you get an up-close photo of her eye? Do you have a few pictures of her poop? Is she eating and drinking well? Have you added any birds to the flock recently? Have you done a thorough physical examination on her, checking in her mouth, around ears, underwings, vent, etc? How does her crop feel, is it empty in the morning? How does her breath smell?

Bringing her inside was a good call. Keep her in a warm, soft padded, an area with feed and water provided. If you medicate the water with something, provide another clean plain water dish as well. I would try offering her scrambled eggs, or a soupy feed and see if she takes to that. Getting a baseline weight on her using a food scale might be good. If you have access to a vet, I would probably take her there if she's still acting poorly.

Hi, thanks so much for the reply....have been asleep as working night shift the last couple of days.

I did in fact take her to my vet yesterday who diagnosed unspecified upper respiratory illness with an elevated temperature but not too high. She has been given an injection of antibiotics. The vet also checked for mites etc.

She has responded well although not out of the woods as her breathing a little raspy and a little more nose/eye discharge today. She is definitely eating (scrambled eggs/oats and chick feed) and drinking - followed your advice on normal water access and she seems to be taking a bit of both - her crop has been empty in the morning and full at night. Her poos look normal dark with the white bit at top....sorry no technical terms here:). Her weight is about 3.5lbs which vet happy with. Her eyes are open today and she looks less fluffed and hunched up in fact moving around well and more interested in the world and much brighter.

My tiny flock also running around looking well......have to say overall I am hopeful to have caught in time and that others are also ok.

I forgot to ask my vet but how long should I keep her indoors and how long before reintroducing her back to the flock....as long is improvement continues??

Thanks for your advice as a couple of things I can add to my check list when things not looking to good.

Much happier hen and owner.

Best regards Lou

An update.....PomPom has fully recovered and is back out with her flock mates although they are giving her a bit of a hard time.

She had antibiotic injection followed up with oral antibiotics and within 3/4 days appeared recovered although I kept her in until yesterday. No problems with other members of her flock either.

So relieved ......

Back
Top Bottom