Ill Rhode Island Red Hen

@biophiliac
As regards the crop surgery on poor little Vippy, my bantam pekin (cochin), I didn't do an article but I did document it on another thread.... a necropsy thread I think which was probably inappropriate, thinking about it now but was in response to another thread! I cannot take any real credit for it myself....I was desperate because she was going to die if I didn't do something. I watched a few You Tube videos showing how to do it and the people who made those videos definitely deserve all the credit. The best tip was superglueing the crop back together because I was really anxious about doing sutures but didn't believe the glue would work on damp flesh.... I blotted the edges dryish after removing the blockage and irrigating with saline, then applied the glue and nipped together. It was fiddly getting hold of just the edges of the incision into the crop and not the skin and not sticking my fingers to the tissue as well, but the glue held beautifully and I left the outer skin incision open to drain just in case the crop leaked, but she was up and eating within 10 mins of surgery and back to laying eggs two weeks later. The skin incision was covered with antiseptic cream and left open and it healed great. I will try to find the thread.
Thank you, I was wondering about super glue in lieu of sutures. I've never had to deal with crop issues but always good to be prepared with options. :D How large of an incision was required? Near the bottom of the crop?

I have tried scrambled eggs but she could only sometimes eat the tiniest bits. I am now trying her (and the others) on yogurt but they just don't get it. How can I teach them to eat it?

Oh, I'm so very sorry! :hugs
She did not look well at all and I very much doubt even a knowledgeable vet could have saved her.
Chickens do not have long lives, some shorter than others so you have to measure them by the quality not the quantity. She had a loving home with you and that is all any could hope for.

Back
Top Bottom