infected eye?

Quote:
No, Mericks is a virus and Tylan won't help. Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves on this. If you had a bad strain of Mericks than other birds would be showing signs.

How's your patient doing tonight?

when I give her the tylan she seems so weak after wards. she was standing on her own today and after I gave the med she layed down and would not move..

Also will she be contagious to the rest of the flock after she gets better. i hate to sound evil but I don't want anyone else getting this. where the heck did she get this?

she seems stable but not getting any better... I just don't know what to do. I need to isolate her and my husbend wont let me bring her in the house... I just don't know what to do.....guess I said that already.

I am watching the others and I don't see anything yet so I am so confused she is an ameracona and she is like two years old and I got her cant remember if I got her form a feed store or the hatchery. if I got her from the hatchery she had the vaccine for Merrick

ok so mericks can happen any time? I so wish I could vacianate my flock. can you vacinate any time? it would crush me if I lost some of my pet chickens to this.. I love this one dont get me wrong but she is not one that sits on my lap and such. I am just very confused by this. she really looks like the harder she tries to stand straight the more she curls her neck in a curly que. weird weird weird...

oh she also looks very disy and disorientated. I am feeding her soft coked egg and she has a hard time only becuse she has to peck several times to find it. she can see but it is like a drunk like she is seing more than one, you know the old chose the one in middle thing...

Quote:
Don't worry about Merricks or anything else right now. Since she has already been in your flock the other birds have already been exposed. Unless the other birds start showing signs you have nothing to be concerned with.

Her being lethargic after the shot is not surprising. Chickens handle stress by going limp like that. It's why predators love them so much.

Having a sick pet is stressful, especially with many unanswered questions about diseases and stuff. You are doing all you can and handling this very well. Give it more time.

thank you so much purple chicken, you are very encouraging and have a lot of knowledge. I held her for a while yesterday and just told her she is loved and that she is a good girl. I was being mad at her for not letting me give her a shot and my son, momie talk nice to her like you did the other night you are going to make her want to die. how much wisdom kids have. I know she is lonely and wants to go back to the flock but I need her to be strong again. I am making her some more egg oatmeal and this time yougert. maybe I will leave the oatmeal out. just soft stuff, I will mix it with gator aid again. I am just so perplexed by the upside down thing. I looked at the video on wry neck and it does not look the same should I give her a good dose of ivermectin. I was mulling it over, praying really, and all the sudden I flashed on of all things this house episode when he had a kid who had, eaten some sand infected by raccoon and got a parasite. the child acted kinda in the same way disey but his eyes were rolling to the back of his head from the worms, gross I know. I do not know what made me flash on it I just did, would ivermectin hurt her? would it interfere with the antibiotic? I know when I took some birds to the vet they said it would not but I have never used this tylan before...

what do you thing.

Ok, tear in my eye from your son's word... What a sweet child. Regardless of the outcome on this bird the lessons and love you are teaching your child is priceless.

It's funny that you mention worms. In another thread a user named Flowerchild59 posted her experience with worms and how they caused similar issues, although I'm not sure about the wry neck. Here is her thread she mentioned. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7474233

I
don't know if a wormer and the Tylan will conflict with one another. I'm hoping others with experience will chime in here. If it was my bird I'd use the Tylan for 5 days before trying anything else. I have no solid evidence or experience to base that opinion on.

It's still a waiting game unfortunately...

Ivermec isn't much good for anything except mites. If you're going to worm her use Safeguard paste (easy to find) or Valbazen (has to be ordered online in most cases). Safeguard is extremely safe. You can give her about a pea-sized drop or even 2 and repeat 10 days later OR give 3 days in a row. That said I don't think I'd worm her at all right now while she's not even eating properly. Just keep up the injections and water down anything you give her to get liquids into her, that's more important than solids.
Your son is very wise, what a sweetheart. And what he said tells us a lot about you also because you raised such a wonderful boy.

We finaly put her down last night. she was all curled up in a ball and skin and bones, and I swear when I picked her up to wash off the poo, she was trying to tell me it was time for her to go. My husband did it for me and we berried her, I so hope it was ok to bury her I am a bit worried of contagiousness but we buried her deep and put lots of rocks over it... man now I am crying too,
our son is so wise beyond his years. its funny sometimes I think we get so caught up and jaded by what the world can do to us that we forget all that wisdom we get naturally. however kids can be so so mean too.

I know have another bird acting funny she is a giant cochin and she is kind of staying by herself and just closing her eyes and setting in the sun. I think I am paranoid but I am going to try to catch her and make sure she in not skinny. none are sneezing and all seem to be eating and drinking ok. I so hope rounder my giant cochin in not sick now...

what is the best way to sanitize a coop on a budget. I want to sanitize our old coop. it has a wood floor and well its all wood really. I thought I could scrape out all the ick and use a strong bleach water is that the best way to do it.. I want to use it as a kind of guaranteeing for sick birds. I wanted to use it for a nursery but I seem to need a quareenteen sight right now a lot more...

Back
Top Bottom