injectable antibiotic **I'm worried I'll lose him*update he died

willkatdawson

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Ga
My standard cochin Roo is sick 2 years old, sounds like he has asthma and isn't eating this AM. He did however eat a scrambled egg last night with some oxytetracycline mixed in it. He also has oxy in his water and I've given him 3 syringes of it last night and today. He is clearly worse today. Unresponsive. He's in a sick bay play pen in the laundry room, warm and dark. I'm scared I'm going to lose him. He has watery feces that smell bad (not like normal droppings). He is unsteddy and not really able to stand. I found him in the yard yesterday free ranging and laying down with feces on his backside. When I brought him inside to wash him I did notice some mites and maybe even some lice. I treated him with 7 drops of ivermectin in the back of his neck.
I'm wondering if I sould move up to injectable penicillin G procaine? They have it at the Tractor Supply Company but they told me over the phone it kills chickens! I read it was a good antibiotic to use in another post, and the poster really seemed to know what they were talking about. If you say yes to moving on to this injectable antibiotic can you tell me how much and how meds and how to give the shot?

Kittymama really seemed to know what she was talking about
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=304453

Albert died about 1/2 hour ago. I had given him an injection of .5cc of Tylan at 11:30. I hope I didn't cause his death. I was so worried about taking the next step to injectable but he was not doing well. I'm SOOOO sad. He was a prince of a rooster.

Last edited:
hugs.gif
I'm sorry for you loss.
hugs.gif

I don't think you caused his death.
hugs.gif
I think that he had an overwhelming infection of some sort, and the antibiotics that he got initially were just not what the infection was sensitive to, or it was viral, and could not be helped by antibiotics. Maybe Tylan was the right med, but he didn't show symptoms until it was too late. I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved rooster.
hit.gif

Thank you.... My DD is still red eyed and swollen faced from crying. We will all miss him. It's amazing just how much they can work their way into your heart.
sad.png

I'm so sad for you...I've lost a few it's horrible....you had mentioned iin an earlier PM another chicken was sneezing...I'd listen carefully to each and every one, just in case it's contagious. I'd also do it again every few days

Sorry for your loss. 99% of respiratory issues are viral so the only thing antibiotics would do is help calm any secondary infections. Keep an eye on the rest of the flock just in case. Sometimes it could be a combo of things too. Just remember if you do use an antibiotic, you'll kill off 99.99% of the good bacteria required for digestion, and only 99% of the "bad" ones so be sure to give the birds time to "recover" benificial bacteria in their systems.

Back
Top Bottom