Injured Cornish X

Josh L.

Songster
Oct 2, 2017
Golden Valley, Arizona
So, one of my Cornish x pullets hurt her leg about three days ago, and it looked like just a sprain, so I gave her a splint and separated her off, and today when I went to check on her after twice daily checks the past few days. She's very active and fiesty, but she's not looking good at all in terms of her physical health. Her leg swelling has gone down, but she looked to have mangled her wing somehow (she may have done it before and I was too focused on the leg, as its beneath the wing), and the abdominal area below and around her leg, plus the underside of her wing has turned green. Is this bruising? What is happening to her? What should I give her? I washed out her wing injury, it doesn't smell as though its necrotic, just looks ghastly. The black is dried blood and scabs, I've washed it since taking these pictures.
(Excuse the mess in the background, I've been reorganizing the garage.) I did use hydrogen peroxide on a small cut on the underside of her wing prior to the leg incident, could that be causing the strange coloring there? Is the green infection or just bruising from the damage?
The injured leg us move able, but shes tender and doesn't want to put weight on it even after being in the sling. Should I keep the sling on? What medicine should I give her? Is it better to put her out of her misery if there's no chance of her getting better?
Thank you in advance, please advise on what to do, as I am completely lost and have never seen anything like this. None of the others have any kind of issues and I dont want her to be in pain. She is eating and drinking water, and hobbling around her little hospital box when she pleases.
20210105_124352.jpg

20210105_124342.jpg

Attachments

• 20210105_124342.jpg
    20210105_124342.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 0
How old is she and how much longer were you intending to keep them? :'(
Shes only 6 weeks currently, so she and the few I'm not keeping as a breeding project (an experiment really, I have a whole thread on that one. Theyre being feed restricted to prevent premature death and issues) were only going to stay for another 2-4 weeks depending on their size.

I usually advocate treating injuries, but given her breed I'd put her down and use her as a "cornish game hen" meal. I had to put one of my CX down early due to injury, but it dressed out at around 4 lbs, so still a decent size. The way I see it is, the injury may not even be fixable, and even if it was, you're looking at a minimum 1-2 week recovery time, soon reaching processing size. So if you wait 2 weeks and it didn't recover, it had a pretty sucky last two weeks just to meet its death.

I usually advocate treating injuries, but given her breed I'd put her down and use her as a "cornish game hen" meal. I had to put one of my CX down early due to injury, but it dressed out at around 4 lbs, so still a decent size. The way I see it is, the injury may not even be fixable, and even if it was, you're looking at a minimum 1-2 week recovery time, soon reaching processing size. So if you wait 2 weeks and it didn't recover, it had a pretty sucky last two weeks just to meet its death.
Thats a fair point. I just feel terribly that I didn't catch her wing injury initially, because the leg may have been treatable but I'm thinking along the same lines unfortunately for her. If it gets worse it would just be cruel to let her suffer along for a few more weeks. I may wait a day or two and see what happens with the strange green color, but that's, unfortunately, what I was expecting to hear. She is the chunkier of the girls, so I was worried about issues with her. Suppose I should have been more vigilant

I may wait a day or two and see what happens with the strange green color, but that's, unfortunately, what I was expecting to hear.

Yes green color is more than likely a hematoma. More severe bruising. I saw a lot of hematomas on the wings of my CX after processing because we used a large plucker. The leg injury is my primary reason for leaning toward culling, because the bird will only get bigger, making healing more challenging. With that said, I imagine a wing injury such as that is very painful.

Don't beat yourself up. I mentioned I had to cull one early due to leg injury. What I didn't mention was that even in Oct it was dark when I left for work and dark when I came home, so all of the birds went inside for the night and when I counted them all laying there, they all looked fine. It was the weekend when I noticed the injured one was laying there in its own poop and clearly dehydrated. It's likely it laid there for 1-2 days injured and I never noticed. It's heartbreaking but sometimes there is literally nothing you can do to avoid those situations.

Green skin is usually bruising. Could she have been atacked by a predator that hurt her wing and caused the leg injury? I tend to agree with @humblehillsfarm that it might be time to process her just in case she gets worse or her wound gets infected. Sorry.

Ive got a dog who watches them like a hawk, so I highly doubt it was a predator. She could have gotten caught on the wire by the far side fence, but I feel like that would have been obvious and I would have seen/heard her struggle. Its a lot of damage for anything like that. I really have no idea what could have done it, especially since Lily (dog) herds them around and keeps them safe from the older chickens almost all the time. Theyre closed in at dusk and let out well after dawn, so I really am lost as to what could have happened with her.

Yes green color is more than likely a hematoma. More severe bruising. I saw a lot of hematomas on the wings of my CX because we used a large plucker. The leg injury is my primary reason for leaning toward culling, because the bird will only get bigger, making healing more challenging. With that said, I imagine a wing injury such as that is very painful.

Don't beat yourself up. I mentioned I had to cull one early due to leg injury. What I didn't mention was that even in Oct it was dark when I left for work and dark when I came home, so all of the birds went inside for the night and when I counted them all laying there, they all looked fine. It was the weekend when I noticed the injured one was laying there in its own poop and clearly dehydrated. It's likely it laid there for 1-2 days injured and I never noticed. It's heartbreaking but sometimes there is literally nothing you can do to avoid those situations.

Yeah. I noticed her leg pretty quickly, it happened between when I first released everyone and noon of the same day, so I was able to put it in the sling pretty quickly, but the wing wasn't noticed unfortunately.. It is sad that I'll likely have to put her down, but at least she is a chunky girl so there should be a pretty good processed weight by the end of it. I'll have to psych myself up for an unexpected butchering, but it will probably be the best for her.
Next time I'm going with Rangers, I swear. Cornish have lots of problems and I thought I could mediate some of them, but its really not worth the worry and disappointment.

Back
Top Bottom