Injured? Sick? I’m so afraid of losing her :(

I like the chickens sling idea! Just make sure that she gets outside each day to sit in the grass and maybe hobble around a bit! She will be much more comfortable in the sling then sitting on her bum. Good job, and I would clean the vent feathers with the hot water massage idea you had, then you can trim the feathers back around her bum with some sharp scissors or nail clippers. She will less likely get poop on her feathers in the sling though, just make sure you cut a hole fro her droppings! Keep up the good work, Avery
We tried it.... she hated it. Spent most of the time flapping and squawking to get out. :/ I only made her sit in it a minute though because I didn’t want to stress her too much. However she did seem to like the bath.

Okay, no sling then. Alright well if you wanted to try again, maybe put a strap over her back to keep her in, but if she doesn't like it then maybe just stick with a kennel. You will want to clip her feathers back away from her butt so when she's sitting she doesn't get a messy butt again. I didn't use a sling fo ray injured hen so it won't make a difference. Jus get her fresh air and love and if your interested in wrapping her foot I can give you a tutorial! Do you feel any heat anywhere on her leg? Any swelling? This might help pin point there the injury is. Good luck, Avery

We tried it.... she hated it. Spent most of the time flapping and squawking to get out. :/ I only made her sit in it a minute though because I didn’t want to stress her too much. However she did seem to like the bath.
Try it again at night time after dark when she is sleepy. They are a lot more calm and willing to try new things at that time of night. Just like training to perch. :)

So update. She started getting a lot better. Started standing, kept eating and drinking just fine. She would go outside with me when I went to the garden and shed limp around and eat at the grass, what bugs walked in her path and was generally happy. Well yesterday she didn’t want to eat at the grass at all. And just layer down all day. Would eat a little but not drink. I got water in her when I could. ( beak dipping and small stuff. Nothing forced. I didn’t want her to aspirate. ) well now she’s laying down on her side, twitching. won’t stand at all and her leg is right back to where we started. Honestly I feel like she’s on her way out. 😭.

So she’s still with us...I honestly don’t know for how long. Honestly if I knew how to put her to sleep I would because she’s starving to death. She won’t eat or drink no matter what, she hasn’t pooed at all the past two days, she twitches sometimes but not always. And her leg that was hurt gives absolutely no resistance now. It’s just a floppy leg. I am worried sick about mericks but honestly the ONLY thing that I’m seeing that could point to that is her leg.... nothing else fits that. Her eyes are perfectly fine, her feathers are fine ( even at the follicle ....are they called follicles in chickens? I dunno) no one else is showing any symptoms of anything similar. She was vaccinated as a chick and so were the rest. However I am aware that vaccines are not always fool proof. :(

To keep her alive she needs water and food. Emphasis on water.

At this point she would need to be tube fed. If that is something you are willing to try, talk to @casportpony. She is the best for getting you started. After you have supplies and instructions, I can help you from there.

She may be at the point that she needs to be put down. Only you can be the judge of that.

Back
Top Bottom