Is anyone on here South Beaching?

yes sort of, I can tell you that I had/have to cut out ALL sweets - for me that included diet soda and artificial sweetener or I would get cravings.
it as about 5 days of hell
tongue.png
and during that time I didn't limit the amount of things like hard boiled eggs, cheese, meat etc. I made sure I had fiber as that will help cut cravings also.
but then it got to be not so hard.
I had to break a lot of habits (ie go to starbucks for several weeks for coffee as I would also get a cookie or a pastry)
But now about 10 weeks into this? I have lost 18# and it is no longer HARD and as long as I do not 'stray' I do NOT crave sweets.
for example, if I just have an apple? I will crave sweets but If I have some peanut butter with it? I will do okay (not to much)

now that I'm not craving so badly I'm watching portion control.
My goad is to loose 80# I'm not in a hurry, but I know as I'm eating it will come off. But let me tell you, I do get excited when I see that scale drop! it sat "steady" for about 2 weeks then boom I dropped 5 pounds this last week.

Anyway, I'm sitting here with my breakfast - 2 hard boiled eggs (thanks girls) and a 5.5 oz can of V8 - I have had my cup of coffee and am now drinking tea (hot and iced) the rest of the day.
anyway, I have subscribed to this thread and am looking forward to support others and be supported!

I lost about 50 pounds on weight watchers 7 years ago. I never went to the meetings, just bought the books and did it at home. I have gained and lost the last 10 pounds many times. I am currently trying to lose that same 10 pounds again. I really like WW because I can eat anything in moderation.

For some people? I'm one of them. IF I have sweets (empty sugar carbs) I CRAVE MORE.
I also do not feel as good. When I'm eating "right" for me I do not crave sweets.
I have done out and had chips and salsa at mex food, that does not seem to trigger my cravings as much. but I do not keep things like that in the house PERIOD :mad:

but wow sugar? real or fake
wink.png
is a killer for me.
it was SO HARD to quit diet soda.
I would easy down 2 - 24oz diet sodas a day. And it is just not good for me. But I have discovered some AWESOME teas out there for both hot and cold and it is making giving up soda MUCH easier.

I have started "trying" some food to see how it feels again (things I had cut out) but I'm a quick learner - I got some dried Mangos at costco last night? in instantly was starving! wanted MORE. I took them to work today and got them OUT of the house.

Last edited:
Carousel - you're doing the right thing. Get it out of the house, and yes the more sweet stuff you eat the more you want. That's why you have to eat the protein. The more protein you eat the more the sugar cravings go bye bye.
smile.png

OK...let's keep this thread going! I had to go for my annual checkup yesterday...ugh!! I KNEW my doctor was going to have a fit. I lost 60#'s a couple of years ago but I"ve gained it all back.
sad.png

Sure enough...she did have a fit! When I lost it before she told me not to eat more than 50 grams of carbs a day. So I didn't...and the weight came off. It took me about a year to lose the 60 lbs. But around the holidays I started just "tasting" the goodies...and here I am now.

She told me yesterday that she didn't want me losing more than 15 pounds in one year. If I just lost that much, in a few years it will all be off...and I'm more likely to keep it off. So, I'm gonna start watching sweets and also portion size. We'll see how that goes.

Best to all of you who struggle with weight...

Judy

Oh this would be great!
as I said I have looked at this as 100% lifestyle and my health, and change it in my head that food is not here to "taste" good
tongue.png
but to make me healthy!
lol.png
I need a 'new' relationship with FOOD

I have had 4 knee surgerys (22 yrs ago) on one knee and am in a TON of pain now (I'm too young for a replacement) and had minor knee surgery on the other one this summer. I want to loose the weight so I can FEEL better. And so my KNEES don't hurt so much.

Quote:
I think it tastes fine but it doesn't taste like sugar. But then, I've never found a non-sugar sweetener that does. Even Splenda has it's own taste that isn't sugary to me. I've only had Truvia in my coffee, hot tea and the little ricotta cheese & cocoa desert I made last night and I like it. Hopefully it'll work for you as well.
smile.png

Quote:
I agree!

I'm a Christian so I pray before I eat and I've started asking God to please bless the food for the NOURISHMENT of my body, and to help me get past making food into sort of an idol (obsession.) Food should be for fuel - not for indulgence, comfort, etc. - and I need to be mindful of that. I do believe He will be helpful with my struggle IF I will just continue to ask for His help.
smile.png

My husband & I did South Beach a few years ago. I lost 30#.
smile.png
I've been fighting the last 5# for the last few years too, because We stopped the program.
hmm.png
The really bad thing is. We both felt better while we were on it. Had more energy and just felt wonderful. We have discussed many times about starting back. I'm glad I found this, I going to talk to him tonight & maybe start over ASAP. I'm subscribing too.
Thanks!
smile.png

I'm sorry, but I have to throw in my 2 cents on this. I have been gaining a lot of knowledge about diets and exercise for a while now and have learned that most of these gimmick diets are just that. Gimmicks. Not only that, they are usually bad for you.

Weight loss is achieved through a proper diet and exercise. Keep in mind that a proper diet does not mean starving yourself in order to lose weight. A proper diet means eating the foods you need (food pyramid) to supply your body with what it needs every day.

Depending on your age, sex and how much exercise you get, you are to consume the amount of calories your body needs to sustain itself. I'm not sure how this is figured exactly, but there is an awesome site called Train With Me Online that has more than enough info for people wanting to lose weight and/or get in shape.

For example if you're like me (32 year old male which gets between 30 and 60 mins of exercise per day) then your total calorie consumption should not exceed more than 2600.

The total idea is to burn more calories than you take in by eating properly and exercising. You DON'T have to exercise everyday or more than 30 mins a day to achieve this.

If you want to make it easier to lose weight, eat 5 or six times a day. How does that help? It keeps your metabolism up all day instead of the periods when you are eating. Don't eat more, just eat the same amount to reach your calorie limit, but spread it out over about 5 or 6 meals.

Also you can lose 5 pounds a week and keep it off if you want to, but you really don't want to lose more than 2 or 3 lbs a week. Any more and your skin may not tighten up too fast if you are really overweight.

I got this information through health magazines, personal trainers, and from the mouths of people that have lost huge amounts of weight and kept it off. My best friend was a trucker and ate like a horse and used to be the size of one. His goal was to lose fat and gain muscle and he did just that. Of course he used protein shakes/pill/bars to gain the muscle, but he still lost a lot of weight. He also did two hour and a half workouts a day. That doesn't mean you have to. Proper diet, eat more than 5 times a day, and exercise for 30 mins a day at least 3 times a week. Brisk walking is considered exercise.

Here is a link to a post in the forums of the site I mentioned above. This was very motivating for me.
http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=894&ttl=sharing another update....

Another thing to remember is that the last few pounds are ALWAYS the hardest to lose. The reason these models have such tight looking bodies is because they pretty much starve and dehydrate themselves right before a photo shoot.

You can lose weight with most of these gimmicky diets, but you aren't doing yourself any favors. The reason you gain the weight back after you're off the diet is because your body isn't used to the same foods anymore.

By posting this, I had no intentions of offending anyone and if you are, then there isn't much I can do about it. I'm sorry if you are offended, but I stand by what I say.

BTW- The amount of calories you are supposed to consume a day also includes discretionary calories meaning anything you want. For me it's about 410.

Quick note about exercise. The exercise you do doesn't matter. The idea is to get your heart rate up so that you can burn calories. Start off easy and make it harder as you get used to it. You can probably start off at about 60-70% of your max heart rate and work your way up. MHR is 220 minus your age. I'm 32 so mine is 188.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom