Is this normal?

LER23

Songster
Aug 21, 2023
Willamette Valley, Oregon
This Production Blue hen has her mouth half open most of the time. Non of my other chickens do this unless the weather is hot. It has not been hot for weeks but that half opened mouth is pretty much her go-to expression. Is this normal, or should I be concerned. In all other ways she seems fine, though a bit aggressive.
20231006_201029.jpg

Hard to know.

Can you get a video of her breathing - do you notice any mucous or bubbles in the eyes? Coughing? Sneezing?

How long have you had her?
When was her last egg?
What do you feed?
Have you looked inside the beak for lesions or canker?
Is her crop emptying?

Hard to know.

Can you get a video of her breathing - do you notice any mucous or bubbles in the eyes? Coughing? Sneezing?

When was her last egg?
What do you feed?
Is her crop emptying?
No coughing or sneezing. Not old enough to lay, but getting close. Eyes seem fine. I got her july 7, when she was about a week old.
I will try to catch her in a few days wwhen I can get some help and examine her. How do I tell if her crop is emptying?

No coughing or sneezing. Not old enough to lay, but getting close. Eyes seem fine. I got her july 7, when she was about a week old.
I will try to catch her in a few days wwhen I can get some help and examine her. How do I tell if her crop is emptying?
Hard to know.

When was her last egg?
What do you feed?
Is her crop emptying?
This morning when I let them out my hen, Elvira, was fine. I watched her for a couple of hours, off and on, and everything was normal, no half- open beak. Eyes clear, no mucous anywhere. I still want to give her a good once-over but I think I may have worried pre.aturely. She is my hefty girl, significantly bigger than my other Production Blue, so maybe she just gets hotter easier. Although she's had her beak half open a lot lately, it did get into the low 80's yesterday. That was when I got concerned, because she didn't shut her beak except occassionally all afternoon. Tha l you, though, for your suggestion regarding things to watch for. I put a light out in the coop so I can examine her in the evening after they go to roost.

Back
Top Bottom