It's almost time! Duck buyers unite!

Oh ya, In hopes of getting some prof. opinions, I'm going to tags some ppl.
@chickens really @Sara Ranch @Miss Lydia @Bills vs Beaks
Alright, I'm going to post a few questions relating to ducks hopingt his thread gets into the recent section.
1. I have been having serious problems finding niacin. I don't get the ducks until March, but I would really like to know where to get some B3! It seemed like walmart had a lot of options and I can order from walmart too. What should I do? If you have a reliable source for niacin, plz post the link. Thanks!
2. De-worming. I suspect my old chickens died from an internal parasite. What can I do to prevent my future ducks from getting an internal parasite? What dewormer works best?
3. Finally, I also need to find a good thermometer to use in the brooder to keep it the right temp. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!:frow
I didnt use niacin much, and when I did I used this https://www.amazon.com/Solgar-Brewe...&qid=1512073498&sr=8-3&keywords=brewers+yeast
Never used a dewormer on my ducks. I just keep them on grass, and rotate pasture. Youll hafta ask someone else for that info ;P
I used this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-brooder-thermometer worked great till somone tossed it out with the dirty shavings and we lost it and when I finally found it in the compost it was cracked. didnt leak, just didnt want to risk it so I chucked it. But it was great otherwise!

Hope that helps! thanks for the tag :)

My Mom said we can't get ducks bc they're too messy.

What a shame! I think she'd find that they're cuteness would make up for the mess! Try to show her that you can handle it!!

I didnt use niacin much, and when I did I used this https://www.amazon.com/Solgar-Brewe...&qid=1512073498&sr=8-3&keywords=brewers+yeast
Never used a dewormer on my ducks. I just keep them on grass, and rotate pasture. Youll hafta ask someone else for that info ;P
I used this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-brooder-thermometer worked great till somone tossed it out with the dirty shavings and we lost it and when I finally found it in the compost it was cracked. didnt leak, just didnt want to risk it so I chucked it. But it was great otherwise!

Hope that helps! thanks for the tag :)

Thanks you so much!! That was really helpful!!!

@Bridger - I don't give niacin. I supplement meat bird feed with scrambled chicken eggs, dark green veggies, some meat (which is super rare), and access to the garden.

The duckies LOVED tomatoes!! It was their garden favorite. They also LOVED the different lettuces, the kale, the broccoli leaves. They nibbled on peppers, eggplants, squash, pickles, strawberries, and herbs. The LOVED the fresh fruit from the orchard!

Research foods high in niacin (like eggs) and offer those goodies to your duckies.

Dewormer - my duckies free range and eat with the chickens. So when I deworm the chickens, the duckies, by default get it too. During the summer & fall months, depending on the harvests, everyone eats natural dewormers - like pumpkin seeds here and there. I also add ACV (apple cider vinegar) to their drinking water and to their fermented feed. When I do the store bought dewormer, it's Wazine. Goes into the drinking water and/or their feed.

NikandherChicks mentioned the water. My duckies have the swimming pool. They sometimes drink from it. They also require another water source for drinking and grooming. Yeah, my duckies use the drinking water for grooming. They also enjoy the enjoy a shallow pan (like an XL kitty litter box) with water so they can wash their feet. Yes, my duckies will do that. Puddles also work. ;) Make sure the duckies can dunk their whole bill into the water dish!

Thermometer - I have never used on. I watch the duckies (and other animals) and see how they react to the heat. If they are cold, they huddle under the heat lamp. If they are too warm, they move away from the heat lamp. How would you be able to watch them in the coop? Is there a space in the coop they could get away from the heat lamp (and still be safe) if it's too hot? Going from memory of the photo you posted, not sure there's enough space in the coop to safely have a heat lamp.

Well ducks are definitely messy, which (in my opinion at least!) equals smelly :sick! My ducks are also a LOT louder than my chickens, but I still love them! They are just so fun to watch! I agree about the egg thing too. My ducks rarely miss a day, and I've only had 1 go broody. Also their eggs are HUGE! :eek:

I'm thinking about adding a few more to my flock in the spring... also thinking about adding a few geese. I heard they are great "watch dogs" and we unfortunately have had a predator problem lately. :(

Sounds good! Thanks! With my chickens I know I like having a mixed flock. It's easy to tell them all apart, they all have different personalities, and hopefully by having a variety of chickens and ducks it will help me to have eggs all year and they won't all quit laying at once or molt all at once or go broody all at once etc. Though with my luck, who knows!

@Bridger Davis Thanks for inviting me to your thread.

I have been collecting adult Call ducks since spring and currently have 3 trios. I am planning on raising ducklings in the spring for the first time. I am a little nervous this will be my first time breeding ducks and I picked a breed that is notoriously difficult. I have purchased show and breeder quality ducks and hope to raise some nice babies that I can exhibit in 2018. I'll definitely follow along here to make sure I can give my babies the best start when they arrive. :love

Back
Top Bottom