it's very peopley

momminallday

Chirping
Dec 31, 2017
It was a very stressful holiday season, and I'm glad to be moving past it! Anyone have dreams for coop improvements, or this year's garden plans they want to share?

Attachments

• 20180105_165519.png
    20180105_165519.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180105_165237.png
    20180105_165237.png
    637.6 KB · Views: 8
I plan to do some DIY and cheap quail expansions. I currently have 5, in a rabbit hutch, but I plan to expand my flock so I've been looking for good bargains on hutches, bird cages. I've been looking for bargians on clear storage containers too, which I would add mesh to to use as a cage.

I have wondered about raising quail, do you use the eggs and eat the quail? silly question? :) I'd love to see a picture of the birds! I have always had a passion for birds as pets...but now, the idea of keeping birds who can actually provide for my family...ah-mazing.

I have wondered about raising quail, do you use the eggs and eat the quail? silly question? :) I'd love to see a picture of the birds! I have always had a passion for birds as pets...but now, the idea of keeping birds who can actually provide for my family...ah-mazing.
Quail are awesome little birds. I cannot say enough about them. Mine are very tame. If you manage them properly, they do well on 1 square foot of space per bird. I keep mine in breeding pens (with 1 cock and 4 hens), using rabbit hutches, cages, or modified storage bins. They don't perch- all they need is an area to dust bathe (giving them sand to do this in is good- they will use it as grit), small oyster shell, water (mine drink out of rabbit waterers), bedding (straw is best) and food (25-30% turkey or game bird feed). Because I live in a cold climate I use cardboard boxes inside my hutches to make a "house", and use half of the lid taped down to help make it more enclosed. I use chick feeders and rabbit waterers.
Quail are really a "bang for your buck" bird. The chicks take 16-18 days to hatch out of their shells (however, hens don't go broody at all, usually, so you'll need an incubator), and they mature in 6-8 weeks. They'll start laying at that time. Coturnix Quail hens lay an egg a day, 300 to 350 eggs per year, and are truly unique. There can be multiple colors. Cocks can handle 2-6 hens and are fairly quiet. They live 2-6 years.
Their eggs have a very strong shell, but are tasty. The eggs are small, although compared to the Coturnix hen's size, they are pretty big! The carcasses are small as well, but are a delicacy. They are a game bird, and very tasty meat. Easy to dress out.
I use my quail as money makers. They help my chickens and quail pay for themselves as well as give me a bit of extra cash on the side. Because they are game birds, they are in high demand in a variety of ways. People buy the eggs to eat for $4/dozen. They'll buy hatching eggs at $10/dozen (consider that even with one hen you can sell 2 dozen per month. Hens lay an egg daily). Chicks at $5 / chick. Carcasses at $10-$15/carcass. I also have had people ask about using adults to train their hunting dogs at $20/adult (because they don't bring them back). Adults at POL yield $10/laying bird.
20180103_163255.jpg
20180104_091807.jpg
20180103_163302.jpg

Quail are awesome little birds. I cannot say enough about them. Mine are very tame. If you manage them properly, they do well on 1 square foot of space per bird. I keep mine in breeding pens (with 1 cock and 4 hens), using rabbit hutches, cages, or modified storage bins. They don't perch- all they need is an area to dust bathe (giving them sand to do this in is good- they will use it as grit), small oyster shell, water (mine drink out of rabbit waterers), bedding (straw is best) and food (25-30% turkey or game bird feed). Because I live in a cold climate I use cardboard boxes inside my hutches to make a "house", and use half of the lid taped down to help make it more enclosed. I use chick feeders and rabbit waterers.
Quail are really a "bang for your buck" bird. The chicks take 16-18 days to hatch out of their shells (however, hens don't go broody at all, usually, so you'll need an incubator), and they mature in 6-8 weeks. They'll start laying at that time. Coturnix Quail hens lay an egg a day, 300 to 350 eggs per year, and are truly unique. There can be multiple colors. Cocks can handle 2-6 hens and are fairly quiet. They live 2-6 years.
Their eggs have a very strong shell, but are tasty. The eggs are small, although compared to the Coturnix hen's size, they are pretty big! The carcasses are small as well, but are a delicacy. They are a game bird, and very tasty meat. Easy to dress out.
I use my quail as money makers. They help my chickens and quail pay for themselves as well as give me a bit of extra cash on the side. Because they are game birds, they are in high demand in a variety of ways. People buy the eggs to eat for $4/dozen. They'll buy hatching eggs at $10/dozen (consider that even with one hen you can sell 2 dozen per month. Hens lay an egg daily). Chicks at $5 / chick. Carcasses at $10-$15/carcass. I also have had people ask about using adults to train their hunting dogs at $20/adult (because they don't bring them back). Adults at POL yield $10/laying bird.
View attachment 1228036 View attachment 1228037 View attachment 1228038
Thanks for this great reply, this may be a good (when my youngest gets potty trained) goal. my husband says 4 kids, 4 hens, 2 ducks, and 2 dogs is enough...but what does he know! :lau

Back
Top Bottom