Ive had my 3 chickens since Tuesday, its now Sunday. And I've only got 3 eggs.

FunkyFaith

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
I have 2 sussex and 1 silkie and I've only gotten 3 eggs in 6 days. Is this normal? Plus I think it might only be 1 hen laying the eggs. Maybe its because it is fall, or because my chickens are young (I don't know their actual age). But if there is anything I can do to help them lay more eggs I would love to know.

It's most likely that they are stressed out still from being somewhere new. Chickens don't like change. If they are young they might not have all reached the age when they start laying. Do they squat when you approach them? That's one sign of a mature hen that's of laying age. If they are in their first year you shouldn't see production drop off in the fall or winter. Most still lay well during their first year. It isn't until the second fall/winter that they have their first molt and you'll see egg numbers drop.

Last edited:
Don't panic!

Change is hard on chickens. Mine will stop laying when I introduce new hens, or if the nest boxes are moved.

They may be stressed.
How old are they?

When mine are stressed or stop laying, I give them more black oil sunflower seeds and some dry cat food. It seems to jump start them again.

Back
Top Bottom