January 2020 Hatch along

FoodFreedomNow

Crowing
Aug 11, 2016
KY
I need to get bands tomorrow so I know which are from the free eggs since I told him I'd give him cockerels from them. I don't want to get rid of chicks from the other eggs I have by accident.
I gave away the wrong chick once by accident a few years ago - was in a hurry to get to the meeting and quickly grabbed several mixed breed chicks, only realizing later that the black chick left was clean-legged, so I'd clearly given away a FBCM that was intended to be a breeder, instead. :hit

Lesson learned: separate early and never be in so much of a rush that you don't double (triple?) check.

FortCluck

Purple Minion Wrangler
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
I gave away the wrong chick once by accident a few years ago - was in a hurry to get to the meeting and quickly grabbed several mixed breed chicks, only realizing later that the black chick left was clean-legged, so I'd clearly given away a FBCM that was intended to be a breeder, instead. :hit

Lesson learned: separate early and never be in so much of a rush that you don't double (triple?) check.
Speaking of checking, I need to check my egg that was internally pipped last night 😁

FortCluck

Purple Minion Wrangler
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
Checked my internally pipped and now the egg that looks just like it is internally pipped too 😁 nothing external yet so we will see! Im hoping they wait till at least Saturday because I don't want to deal with unabsorbed yolk and such.

rascal66

Songster
Sep 10, 2015
Washington
I'm not really happy with the free eggs so I'm glad that I didn't pay for them 😉

If it's 48 hours then it should hatch on Saturday.

It's one of the eggs from the organic farm and her chicks are amazing. I have no idea what these chicks are mixed with I do know that there was a Brahma and another rooster with the hens.

I got a box from outside just incase it comes out earlier than the others. I won't put it in the brooder in the shed by itself.
Oooh what kind of Brahma? And sorry those eggs aren't working out for you :( its always a disheartening thing with incubating. How often do you incubate? With my old chinese 'bator, i always had chicks die in the shell. With research, I've learned that too high humidity and or temp can cause that. With my new incubator I usually get almost all eggs to hatch.. Just a thought, you may have already known that though :lol:

FortCluck

Purple Minion Wrangler
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
Oooh what kind of Brahma? And sorry those eggs aren't working out for you :( its always a disheartening thing with incubating. How often do you incubate? With my old chinese 'bator, i always had chicks die in the shell. With research, I've learned that too high humidity and or temp can cause that. With my new incubator I usually get almost all eggs to hatch.. Just a thought, you may have already known that though :lol:
I have the farm innovator 4250. I have a separate thermometer and hygrometer to watch the temperature and humidity. I actually do dry incubating so I don't use any water because my humidity is perfectly fine without adding water.

I honestly think that it's just the breeding stock and how the eggs were cared for before I got them because this person didn't know anything about fertile eggs. I had to briefly explain to him over a text message what to do with them and when I got them they were pretty cold so I let them sit for 24 hours. I'm not sure why they were so cold, but most of them have survived. I would say about 50% has lived to lockdown.

All the eggs from my flock and the organic farm flock have made it through to lockdown so that makes me blame just those eggs and not my incubator or anything else.

FortCluck

Purple Minion Wrangler
Sep 9, 2019
Central Virginia
I believe that the rooster was a buff Brahma, but I'm not sure. I have two chicks from the same rooster when I did my last hatch. They are the cutest things ever!

Here is one of them at about 2 weeks old. They are about 9 weeks old now and are so funny. They are actually living with my layer flock and they can sneak through the chain link kennel door that we have that leads into our huge run... My husband said that last night they kept sneaking out and messing with him, when he would go to chase them back in they would just pop through the fence. Then when he would get out of their sight they would pop back out and he couldn't stop laughing at them.

My older chickens have been taking care of them, but I think the white one may be a cockerel so most likely a rehome or dinner for them family.

IMG_20191202_131220.jpg

IMG_20191202_131228.jpg

Top Bottom