Javas VS Spaldings, Some questions for you guys

Alright so this one is a female I am guessing am I right? The green train is correct. Sometimes Spalding peahens don't have much color in their train compared to green peahens. The face patch is big like you would expect for a green but the neck color doesn't look right but it could be the lighting like you said.

The colors don't look right here.

Here is just a fun fact but you can tell this one is a peahen because of the small striped wing feathers she has. I forgot what you call those small ones there...

The color looks better here.

In conclusion if they are young they could still be getting their colors and lighting definitely makes a difference. I am leaning to Spalding because the colors don't look right but once again lighting can make it difficult to tell. If they are Spalding they are a high %.

This reminds me of something Reinhold said recently about a bird on another website:
Quote: Hopefully his explination for this bird will help with yours too as they seem similar to this bird except yours don't have heads that look as rounded as this peahen (greens have more of a triangle shaped head).

I just got to thinking about this more...Young greens can look a little strange colored sometimes. I think time will tell hopefully.
wink.png

Here a picture of two 100 day old hens. You can already see the golden neck and that they start to get blue on the wings.
Even in this age the neck is not bluish.

If I would looking for pure greens and would visit a breeder and see a group of birds like this. Some are looking more like pure green some less and all are not marked then I would not buy.

In person they do not look blue, They Prob are High % Spaldings, but in person they look much more like the Pictures of the green birds, I am having a hard time getting the coloring to come out right, even their bright face color is not reproducing correctly, The for sure Spalding Male he came to me like that with his Neck Feathers, I am unsure from what but there is no fighting in my pen as of yet.

Im definitely going with high % Spaudings. Pretty birds ! Congrats Joe. Enjoy the new flock.
smile.png
Also on that last bird Minx. Regardless of other opinions. I still cant bet my soul on it not being a pure Java hen.
wink.png

Last edited:
Here a picture of two 100 day old hens. You can already see the golden neck and that they start to get blue on the wings.
Even in this age the neck is not bluish.

If I would looking for pure greens and would visit a breeder and see a group of birds like this. Some are looking more like pure green some less and all are not marked then I would not buy.
Are those the two chicks you got this year? They are already more beautiful than a mature India blue peahen.
In person they do not look blue, They Prob are High % Spaldings, but in person they look much more like the Pictures of the green birds, I am having a hard time getting the coloring to come out right, even their bright face color is not reproducing correctly, The for sure Spalding Male he came to me like that with his Neck Feathers, I am unsure from what but there is no fighting in my pen as of yet.
Is their pen in the shade? If there are some places in the pen that have a lot of light your photos might come out better when they step into more light, but the face might not turn out right. Some times of the day can be better for photographs also.

Im definitely going with high % Spaudings. Pretty birds ! Congrats Joe. Enjoy the new flock.
smile.png
Also on that last bird Minx. Regardless of other opinions. I still cant bet my soul on it not being a pure Java hen.
wink.png
For me the color doesn't look right. Too much blue in the neck, not enough on the wing, etc. When you compare this peahen to the Javanese peahens Pfauenfreund has and the ones at Read Mountain Peafowl : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Read...123405814?id=299476123405814&sk=photos_stream there is a noticeable difference. Read Mountain Peafowl has photos of Javas in a dark area or in the shadows and their neck feathers still look green. It gets confusing with all of these Spaldings and mixed subspecies but after looking at a bunch of photos my favorite birds are Reinhold's, Friedrich's, Read Mountain Peafowl's, Rocking BAB Ranch's, and some of Texas Peafowl's greens like the Burmese peacock at the bottom of their open page. That is just how I see it. A lot of people have nice peafowl and they take good care of them, but the ones that really catch my eye are the ones from these people.

Back
Top Bottom