Jersey Giants thread for pictures and discussion

So it's picture day this is some of Kathy's juvies.

13634_jersey_giants_020.jpg

13634_jersey_giants_027.jpg

13634_jersey_giants_022.jpg

13634_jersey_giants_021.jpg

Beautiful juvies, Bassleg!! I HAVE to say, Kathys JG's are huge and impressive, arent they? I LOVE mine and they are just 3 weeks old!

Quick question about newly laying JG's- Do 'your' newly laying JG pullets start with laying small eggs, then work up to the bigger eggs? Or do they start off big?

I have 1 pullet I suspect just started laying due to getting a ginormous brown egg every day for the last 4 days. I dont think its from any of my other pullets, but we all hear of new layers laying big eggs sometimes, so I was curious. I havent been able to catch the big egg layer in the act yet, and I havent noticed it doing the egg song, so I just dont know. Anyone have their new layer JG's start right off with big eggs? I cannot imagine the eggs getting any bigger as they are almost the size of my turkey eggs now!

I am only posting this to show off my roo.... pay no attention to me with wet hair and no makeup and my husbands socks...........

This is "Red" my 16 week old white Jersey Giant Roo. He isn't crowing yet but he is super sweet. Weighed him tonight and he is almost 6lbs! He towers over my girls. I'm hoping he doesn't turn out mean or have an obnoxious crow as I wish to keep him.

41273_684670238574_38302656_37994822_1585165_n.jpg

Quote:
Very nice looking guy! He has made me curious though. Do white jerseys have smaller combs and wattles then the blacks? I only ask because I have 2 BJG who are about the same age, maaaaaybe a week or 2 older, but they have HUGE combs and wattles. Is it an individual thing, or is it a color thing?

Anyways.... I love your white roo- I havent seen any grown up white JG's in person yet, I bet they are awesome to see!

I remember as a kid my neighbors had a white JG roo in with a flock of white leghorns. It was the only roo with about 30 hens and he absolutely TOWERED over them. A very impressive sight to a 2nd grader. I was always scared of that chicken monster.

Quote:
I'm glad you picked them out, instead of me. Guess what you left for me? 3 girls and 1 boy.
big_smile.png

sydney ..... all of my Giants roost.

I planned it that way. Next spring I am coming for all girls.... not sure what kind yet, but I'll let you know what to hatch. But remember, hatch only girls.
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom