July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

I started these Tuesday for a 7/5 hatch date. Almost all are shipped with 3 local white eggs also added.

I’m really hoping to thin them enough by this weekend that I can start using the turner.

51AFE163-3A23-497D-A205-7DFD17DA21C7.jpeg 55F52971-C575-4030-9800-4581A443FFCE.jpeg

And of course that means I will have to add chicken eggs to hatch out so they can teach the poults to eat and drink.
I always put a diamond engagement ring in the water dish for my newly hatched poults. Hubs thinks I'm crazy, but they are curious about the pretty shiny thing and peck at it, and in the process get their beaks wet...and the next thing you know, they are drinking water like a pro. But seriously..it's a diamond...a tiny turkey beak and water isn't going to hurt it any. Just have to be careful not to lose it when cleaing out the water dish. Once the poults are drinking well on their own, I take back my ring, polishing it up first. To get the new poults to eat, I slowly sprinkle a few crumbles on a clean white linen or paper towel and "peck" (tap) at it with my finger, doing this a few times a day, and they'll run over and mimic peck at the crumbles, too. By Day 2 they are eating on their own. I've yet to lose a turkey poult.

Received two dozen (plus extras) eggs in the post today. One dozen + pure Welsummer eggs, and one dozen + coloured eggs....Leg Bars, Marans, and Olive Eggers. Will let them set on the shelf thru late Saturday afternoon, then into the incubator most will go. I have a broody Eng Orpington, so I'll probably put a few eggs under her as well.

Attachments

• 20220617_122457.jpg
    20220617_122457.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom