July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
@casportpony @KsKingBee this is my official S.O.S. call.

I have some peafowl eggs en route to incubate. I have now suddenly worked myself up into a minor panic after reading everything I could find about peafowl egg incubation. LOL

I want to make sure I do everything I can for a successful incubation. (Especially since they are going to have the added gamble from being shipped.)

I see the 2 of you as peafowl pros...:bow so if you have *any* advice or tips, I would really appreciate it. Eggs should arrive Friday. I read across several platforms that 45% humidity throughout incubation is generally the best... and to incubate the eggs at a 45° angle (???)

My incubator is the Nurture Right 360 and I have the peafowl egg turner tray to go into it. I keep 2 separate hydrometer/thermometers to monitor temp and humidity.
I've only done shipped pea eggs a few times, and shipped call duck eggs once. When are your eggs due to arrive?

OMGeeze if one of my babies went broody I'd have to take a vacation for hatching til they were all safe and sound!!!
I can't imagine...and can't wait! Oh the excitement! Which baby will get to have babies first!?! 😃
Yep I'm going nuts in my office waiting to go run errands! Tick Tock!
mine are hatching at day 20; can hear cheeps and the sound of breaking eggshells and the broody softly clucking to encourage them :love
Enough crazy talk, you're just making it worse :lau
Mine like to hatch on day 20 for some reason. both under a broody and in an incubator. But both times a broody has hatched one they have gotten off the nest after it externally pipped. I keep hearing others say theirs don't so maybe mine a broken? LOL

good luck and can't wait to see pictures of the babies!!!!! Let's go babies!
I'm leaving work tomorrow at noon, if I can hold it together that long, lol, but if there is any action, I'm not going in at all! Everyone in my office thinks I'm a total nut because all I've been saying for the last 19 days is how many more days till hatch:lau

OK, I guess I'm weird because I have no plans to stay home or anything.

They're hatching Sunday. I'm working Saturday as usual. I'm serving at church Sunday morning. I'll see what I've got for chicks when I get home at lunchtime.

If they're not all hatched Sunday evening, well, I have to work Monday and we'll see what's in the incubator when I get home.

There's nothing I can do to change anything about the hatch and my one assisted hatch didn't have good long-term results: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/slowpoke-a-reality-check-after-an-assisted-hatch.77702/

Admittedly my experience is very limited, this being only my third batch, but I'm just not the sort of person to stress over a situation that I can't do anything to affect. :)

@casportpony @KsKingBee this is my official S.O.S. call.

I have some peafowl eggs en route to incubate. I have now suddenly worked myself up into a minor panic after reading everything I could find about peafowl egg incubation. LOL

I want to make sure I do everything I can for a successful incubation. (Especially since they are going to have the added gamble from being shipped.)

I see the 2 of you as peafowl pros...:bow so if you have *any* advice or tips, I would really appreciate it. Eggs should arrive Friday. I read across several platforms that 45% humidity throughout incubation is generally the best... and to incubate the eggs at a 45° angle (???)

My incubator is the Nurture Right 360 and I have the peafowl egg turner tray to go into it. I keep 2 separate hydrometer/thermometers to monitor temp and humidity.
First do not expect any of the shipped eggs to develop, then when they do you will be much happier and less sad if they do not. When you get your eggs the air cell will be jiggly, be sure to let the eggs set still for at least 24 hours before putting them in the incubator. If the eggs are slightly soiled do not wash them, if heavily soiled a quick dunk and scrub in warm Tek-Trol solution will kill the bacteria. The incubator settings are similar to turkey eggs, 100* temperature works well but the humidity is trickier. You want to aim for a 15% weight loss by hatch time. If you incubate at too high of humidity the chick will not have enough air space and will not be able to pip and zip. If all goes right you will see the eggs pip on day 25 to 26 and will be out of the shell by day 28.
IMG_6247.JPG
IMG_6248.JPG
IMG_6126.JPG

OK, I guess I'm weird because I have no plans to stay home or anything.

They're hatching Sunday. I'm working Saturday as usual. I'm serving at church Sunday morning. I'll see what I've got for chicks when I get home at lunchtime.

If they're not all hatched Sunday evening, well, I have to work Monday and we'll see what's in the incubator when I get home.

There's nothing I can do to change anything about the hatch and my one assisted hatch didn't have good long-term results: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/slowpoke-a-reality-check-after-an-assisted-hatch.77702/

Admittedly my experience is very limited, this being only my third batch, but I'm just not the sort of person to stress over a situation that I can't do anything to affect. :)
Not being around for the hatch!? It’s like you’re super human or something.

I also don’t assist any hatches. I feel there is a reason they don’t hatch. Even if we don’t know what it is.

I've only done shipped pea eggs a few times, and shipped call duck eggs once. When are your eggs due to arrive?
They should arrive on Friday (tomorrow). I got really lucky with my shipped duck eggs previously and had a great hatch. I was just wondering if... in general... there is anything you do differently with peafowl in the incubator?

First do not expect any of the shipped eggs to develop, then when they do you will be much happier and less sad if they do not. When you get your eggs the air cell will be jiggly, be sure to let the eggs set still for at least 24 hours before putting them in the incubator. If the eggs are slightly soiled do not wash them, if heavily soiled a quick dunk and scrub in warm Tek-Trol solution will kill the bacteria. The incubator settings are similar to turkey eggs, 100* temperature works well but the humidity is trickier. You want to aim for a 15% weight loss by hatch time. If you incubate at too high of humidity the chick will not have enough air space and will not be able to pip and zip. If all goes right you will see the eggs pip on day 25 to 26 and will be out of the shell by day 28.View attachment 3169073View attachment 3169074View attachment 3169075

Those pics are so sweet!

Thank you so much for the advice. I'll just have to keep an eye on aircells and adjust accordingly as needed. When/how often do you check their aircell progress?

They should arrive on Friday (tomorrow). I got really lucky with my shipped duck eggs previously and had a great hatch. I was just wondering if... in general... there is anything you do differently with peafowl in the incubator?
Pea eggs don't ship well, so you're up against that, but if the eggs are fertile, and the air cells aren't too damaged, you might get lucky. I did get lucky with the first set of shipped pea eggs, 4 of 6 hatched, but my next two sets of 6 eggs each, none hatched.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom