July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
1st walkabout with mama
P1110527.JPG

So sweet!
How old do yall recommend a broody be before you let her be a mom?
I've only had a couple broody and at day 13 she quit...the other one I didn't give eggs to and just broke her broodiness.
Honestly I have no clue, this is my first broody and she is 1 1/2yrs old, but she is still doing great

So sweet!
I've only had a couple broody and at day 13 she quit...the other one I didn't give eggs to and just broke her broodiness.
I've had a few birds try to go broody, but I only let them if they're at least 1 year old. I don't have a reason for it necessarily, I just feel like once they hit one year, they're ready. So, I guess just go with your gut. If she seems mature enough to handle it, I say go for it! ;)

So sweet!
This broody turned 1 the day before the hatch; I don't normally let pullets sit, and instead break them until they're 2 at least, but this one clearly has a strong instinct for it having gone broody for the third time in her first year (!) 3 days after my favorite hen disappeared following a dog attack, so I seized the opportunity, and gave her all that hen's eggs that I had (6) plus 1 each from 2 other hens in the flock. And she's done a grand job thus far.

It's not really possible to predict how well a broody will perform. You can test their resolve with fake eggs for a few days, and by lifting them off and seeing if they go back directly, but thereafter you just have to give them a chance and see how they do. And they can improve. I've a 4-year old who is MUCH more careful and gentle with her chicks this year than she has been in the past (she's on her 5th clutch now), so I wouldn't write them off too soon either.

I lost notifications for this thread! Glad I looked!

Lots of new babies!

10/12 of the new sellers eggs are doing great. I think the other sellers are all duds AGAIN! UGH

Question. I have a broody but I am not letting her sit on the eggs this time since I am trying to keep her body condition up so kick her off her nest 2-4 times a day depending on how much I am home so hopefully she eats and drinks a bit more than if she went out once a day. So I have the eggs in the incubator. She raised a couple chicks that are now 8 weeks old. One she hatched the other hatched in the incubator the same day and she took to both with no issues. I am planning on having her raise these chicks that are incubating now. But should I give her at least 1 egg to hatch on her own so she hears it peeping before the hatch or should she be fine with me just giving her chicks?

I have another broody that has chicks that I just gave her but she seemed like she would accept anything so that is why I gave her store ones and she is doing amazing!

Back
Top Bottom