July 2022 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
One hatched! It’s an Olive egger. 😍 It’ll need to fluff out before I attempt color sexing it. I’ll need to review the male/female photos too.

Also a couple new pips in some Legbar eggs. Nothing from the rest yet. Day 21 starts at about 6pm tonight.

View attachment 3174906View attachment 3174908
OMGoodness!!! So cute! I can't wait to have little fluff butts running around! Can't wait to see if you've got a little pullet or not, too! Want those olive eggs, they're beautiful. I plan on hatching my own OEs once my Ams and Marans are all grown up. It's the dream to have that rainbow basket of eggs. I'll need to add white layers if I want that though.

OMGoodness!!! So cute! I can't wait to have little fluff butts running around! Can't wait to see if you've got a little pullet or not, too! Want those olive eggs, they're beautiful. I plan on hatching my own OEs once my Ams and Marans are all grown up. It's the dream to have that rainbow basket of eggs. I'll need to add white layers if I want that though.
Good plan! Olive eggs are so beautiful and varied.

Pretty egg baskets are worth planning a flock around. 😍

As for white layers…I have a bit of a confession. Since my white local eggs, grocery store eggs, and the weekly Tractor Supply chicks didn’t work out. I ended up breaking down and ordering the Hoover Hatchery “Production Pack”. It should ship this week and include 10 white or brown laying production pullets, hatchery choice. My plan is to keep a Leghorn, or similar, then sell the rest immediately. Even this time of year hatchery sexed pullets should be easy to move. They’ll be about the same age as the eggs hatching today.

Chick #2.

ETA: I’m losing track of pips now. 🤣 I think I’m up to 8 plus the hatched chicks.
A36724E1-F992-4E38-8807-59DF8CAD87F5.jpeg

Last edited:
Good plan! Olive eggs are so beautiful and varied.

Pretty egg baskets are worth planning a flock around. 😍

As for white layers…I have a bit of a confession. Since my white local eggs, grocery store eggs, and the weekly Tractor Supply chicks didn’t work out. I ended up breaking down and ordering the Hoover Hatchery “Production Pack”. It should ship this week and include 10 white or brown laying production pullets, hatchery choice. My plan is to keep a Leghorn, or similar, then sell the rest immediately. Even this time of year hatchery sexed pullets should be easy to move. They’ll be about the same age as the eggs hatching today.
I've always kinda had a thing for Dorkings, so that's probably what I'll end up going with for my white eggs. They're the calmest (that I've read about) white layer, and they're an endangered breed, which I like the idea of helping to preserve. I may also eventually get some Penedesencas (not sure what variety) because they're an incredibly interesting breed to me, not to mention more dark brown eggs!
ETA: I know the Dorkings lay more of a creamy white/tinted egg, but close enough...

I've always kinda had a thing for Dorkings, so that's probably what I'll end up going with for my white eggs. They're the calmest (that I've read about) white layer, and they're an endangered breed, which I like the idea of helping to preserve. I may also eventually get some Penedesencas (not sure what variety) because they're an incredibly interesting breed to me, not to mention more dark brown eggs!
ETA: I know the Dorkings lay more of a creamy white/tinted egg, but close enough...
There’s something for everyone, isn’t there? I have a soft spot for Leghorns. One of our sweetest birds ever was a White Leghorn. I can’t say enough good things about her. The complete opposite of what most people think of Leghorns. She was killed by an aggressive rooster I didn’t purge fast enough. I’m still upset over the whole affair even 3 years later.

Back
Top Bottom