July Hatch-a-Long (including 4th of July hatch-a-long)

How many times per year do you hatch eggs?

• 1-2

Votes: 45 26.3%
  • 2-3

Votes: 18 10.5%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I don’t count the times

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • Hatchaholic

Votes: 59 34.5%

• Total voters
Watermelon are hard though when you do cattle panels for them. Better have a ladder and something to hold them on because watermelon get heavy and will break off.

You can make hammocks out of stretchy old t-shirts, or if you get a smaller fruiting variety of watermelon the hammocks can be old sock or nylons. This works for all melon types.
My tomato plants are out of control right now. I think each plant has about 30-50 tomatoes. It is insane. I am going to donate some to the local food pantry plus give some to friends. There is no way we are going to eat all of them.

My peppers are starting to get out of control too, but I am hoping they survive. My yellow peppers do not look so good. I am not sure why. I did add bunny fertilizer so hopefully that will help some.

The bunny fertilizer is the main reason why our tomatoes are doing so good.
How old was the bunny poo? Peppers can be finicky.
Rabbit poo is awesome but very high in nitrogen and needs to be sufficiently aged or it can burn tender plants.

My tomato plants are out of control right now. I think each plant has about 30-50 tomatoes. It is insane. I am going to donate some to the local food pantry plus give some to friends. There is no way we are going to eat all of them.

My peppers are starting to get out of control too, but I am hoping they survive. My yellow peppers do not look so good. I am not sure why. I did add bunny fertilizer so hopefully that will help some.

The bunny fertilizer is the main reason why our tomatoes are doing so good.
You could can some for the winter too.
When I get 5+ acres I am going to do the entire lawn as gardens. No more grass for me. Why not have something that actually feeds the family, we cannot live off eating grass. I want lots of fruit trees.
We've been collecting fruit trees from the dehydrated but not dead section of our big box stores for a couple years. We usually spend $7 or so and then root cuttings from them when we prune. Buy 1 grape vine and plant a vineyard, etc. It's slower going than buying 100 plants, but is our plan.

Do people like silkies because they're cute or are they good layers or something?

How many chicks can a hen handle? I want a broody one day with max capacity haha
My silkies are for pets, broodies, show, and eggs. Some people say silkies aren't good layers, but I disagree. I get about 5 eggs per week from each of my silkie girls. They are great broodies, and very tame and good with kids.

If I remember right, most bantam hens can hold about 12 eggs, and handle 3 times as many chicks! If you want a lot of chicks, get an Orpington. They go broody often and are large enough to handle a lot of eggs and chicks. The closest to max capacity you'll get! :lau

I need to get a bunny or two next year then! I'll start researching what it takes to take care of them. I don't eat rabbit so they'll be strictly pets, or I guess I could feed some to my dogs. But nah, I'll just get two as pets for now and go from there.
Most any animal fertilizer works great!!! But bunny and goat is especially good because it isn’t “hot” so you can put it directly on the plants without needing to compost first. It won’t burn plants.

Not as high as poultry, but higher than cattle or horses which most people won't use without aging. Directly onto a plant...15 is a bit high depending on the plant.

While I've never used rabbit manure, I have used alpaca and goat manure fresh and it can burn plants. It's better to compost it (hot or cold) or spread it on the garden heavily in the fall when the garden is done. Winter helps break it down so the nutrients are more readily available in the soil come spring.

Tab2_Manure-3.png

I need to get a bunny or two next year then! I'll start researching what it takes to take care of them. I don't eat rabbit so they'll be strictly pets, or I guess I could feed some to my dogs. But nah, I'll just get two as pets for now and go from there.
I have two females as pets and litter trained them so they go to the bathroom in a litter box... makes it so much easier to get what I need for my gardens.

We've been collecting fruit trees from the dehydrated but not dead section of our big box stores for a couple years. We usually spend $7 or so and then root cuttings from them when we prune. Buy 1 grape vine and plant a vineyard, etc. It's slower going than buying 100 plants, but is our plan.
I've done that with brambles and I Love the clearance sections in the gardening depsrtment of the big box home stores. So many great plants for only $1 and all they need is a little water and love.

You can make hammocks out of stretchy old t-shirts, or if you get a smaller fruiting variety of watermelon the hammocks can be old sock or nylons. This works for all melon types.

How old was the bunny poo? Peppers can be finicky.
Rabbit poo is awesome but very high in nitrogen and needs to be sufficiently aged or it can burn tender plants.
Rabbit poop is one of two best cold fertilizers. It can be added directly to the garden. It does not need to be aged like chicken poop or cow poop.

Better to go slow than overwhelm yourself

Back
Top Bottom