June Hatch-A-Long! (Blue Ameraucanas for me!)

Pics
HI, I set 5 Black French Marans 3 wks ago, 7 day candle I was surprised to see all fertile since they were shipped eggs, I purchased 3 she sent 5, all fertile. Candle 14 all looked wonderful, candle 18, yesterday still see movement in all but two have "saddle air cells", so am worried about those two. They went on lockdown yesterday, I'm like a nervous first time mom, keep running into my mom's old bedroom (she passed in January, and I still can't bring myself to clear out her room, so using her bedside tray for the incubator) temps and humidity looking good, but am soooo nervous! :)

HI, I set 5 Black French Marans 3 wks ago, 7 day candle I was surprised to see all fertile since they were shipped eggs, I purchased 3 she sent 5, all fertile. Candle 14 all looked wonderful, candle 18, yesterday still see movement in all but two have "saddle air cells", so am worried about those two. They went on lockdown yesterday, I'm like a nervous first time mom, keep running into my mom's old bedroom (she passed in January, and I still can't bring myself to clear out her room, so using her bedside tray for the incubator) temps and humidity looking good, but am soooo nervous! :)

I'm sorry for your loss. You'll clear out the room when you are ready :hugs

Wow...all fertile and all developed from shipped eggs...that is AWESOME!!! :celebrate I understand being nervous...I was the same way!!! Just take a deep breath and wait for them to do their thing! Keep us posted!!!:ya

I'm sorry for your loss. You'll clear out the room when you are ready :hugs

Wow...all fertile and all developed from shipped eggs...that is AWESOME!!! :celebrate I understand being nervous...I was the same way!!! Just take a deep breath and wait for them to do their thing! Keep us posted!!!:ya
Thank you! I definitely will keep y'all posted. My Hovabator I used for several years wouldn't heat up so I jumped on Ebay and bought a small Janoel12, I don't trust the type of egg turner, so took it out and turned them myself 3-4 times a day. I have two hygrometers and 3 thermometers in there, LOL. Definitely going to get a bigger better bator in the future! Ha

Thank you! I definitely will keep y'all posted. My Hovabator I used for several years wouldn't heat up so I jumped on Ebay and bought a small Janoel12, I don't trust the type of egg turner, so took it out and turned them myself 3-4 times a day. I have two hygrometers and 3 thermometers in there, LOL. Definitely going to get a bigger better bator in the future! Ha

I have had a lot of experience with saddled eggs. It seems like no matter what I do (resting them well, slowing turning them) they stay saddled. Now, by some miracle, some have righted themselves by the end, but mostly they still hatch well. I usually try to candle them and put the area with the most air cell facing up at lockdown. I have had great hatch rates and haven't felt like it affects the outcome as much as it makes me a crazy nutcase. Shipped eggs get a bad reputation, but when you trust your breeder it makes a world of difference.

CABINHOLLOWNC,
Your chicks are so gorgeous :love and what a cool idea to go with a theme! :)
We have a chick too that we're sure is a cockerel and it was the deal that we could incubate if we ate the roosters but I don't think I could, not my Dozer :rolleyes:.
IMG_6109.jpg

CABINHOLLOWNC,
Your chicks are so gorgeous :love and what a cool idea to go with a theme! :)
We have a chick too that we're sure is a cockerel and it was the deal that we could incubate if we ate the roosters but I don't think I could, not my Dozer :rolleyes:.
View attachment 1041600

Aw...thank you! We are in love with them!!!

I know I couldn't eat my roosters...I've always said that if I had to kill to have meat, I'd become a vegetarian. I know that sound hypocritical...but we all aren't cut out to do that.

Dozer is super cute! You should go with a muppets naming theme!;) Is he a frizzle or is it his pin fearhers coming in?

Happyness for me! I had 10 eggs that I thought were clear on day 9, turned out I only had 6. The ones that turned out to be good were my lavender orphingtons yahh! One bad egg and oh man could I smell it. That led to an impromptu candeling session and a good scrub out of my incubator. So as of sat I had 35 eggs developing nicely out of 41. 2 were cracked and I missed that when setting 1 had a chick clearly developing so I slapped some glue on the shell then nail polish and so far it looked good. Might candle again tonight to satisfy my curiosity if it's still growing.

Day 22 and 18 out of 23 have hatched!!! 15 hatched early on day 20 but 3 hatched yesterday (including my upside down baby)... how much longer should I keep the last 5 in the incubator?
I had chicks hatch at 27 and 28 days that survived. It is very rare and we had bother with temp and humidity both needed help to get out of their eggs. I would not toss out for a week after now because I am afraid of dumping a viable baby - I was going to dump at 25 days but a float test told us there was still life in the eggs.

I am still waiting and running and waiting and running nothing nothing nothing I am a wreck! :pop:pop:pop:th:th:th:barnieI am going to check AGAIN!

Back
Top Bottom