June Hatch-A-Long

My marans are hatching in 10 days I think. I’m losing track of time 😂

:weeTime is all running together! Glad I am writing everything down on a calendar. My BCM's are 4 weeks tomorrow. Pretty sure I ended up with 3 pullets and 2 cockerels. I plan on keeping 2 of the pullets....and the roos will probably go into the bachelor pen to try and sell. The other pullet will go to my neighbor. Another friend wanted some Marans so I had told her "If they aren't black copper color I will split them with you"....hoping to get at least 1 pullet out of that deal as I have fallen in love with the color of the Wheatens (I don't have any chickens quite that color yet).

My husband went down and looked in the incubator (which is only 2/3 full at the moment) and said "Holy Cow! How many chickens are we going to have!?" I told him I was going to try and sell a lot of them....but might have to hold on to them until I can tell who is a pullet and who is a cockerel. I am hoping I can get some sold! No one has seemed interested in my straight run barn yard crosses which I hatched just for the purpose of selling. :barnieSo I guess we will be looking at a lot of roosters to feed out and trying to sell just pullets when they get a little older.

And I found another chicken I want on ebay. :oops: (can not buy.....can not buy...) It is a Belgian Bearded d'Anver Bantam (Quail color is the only color I can find). But it's cheeks!!! I just cannot get over their cheeks! The hens look like little chipmunks with peanuts stuffed in their cheeks. I just love it! I mean....my kids could show them for 4-H along with their silkies, Svart Honas, D'Uccles, and Appenzellers right?!?

need more chickens.jpg

So I should buy them right? LOL!

Who was the seller? I think I saw you were bidding on eBay. I saw some wheaten maran eggs on there (but didn't bid). I am interested in how well they are packed and your thoughts on the seller. 😁

I bought them from dprather1968. I thought their product info was very knowledgeable and their ratings were really good. There was another Wheaten Marans auction I was looking at, but I didn't feel quite as good about the amount of info provided - last time I lost an auction for eggs I felt pretty confident about and proceeded to buy the 2nd auction that I didn't feel quite as good about (D'Uccles) ....I ended up with dirtier eggs and was down by half by day 7. So I have decided if I have to pay a little bit more for the auction I feel good about then I will, but I still make sure I am not spending boat loads of money on them. Some of the Wheaten Marans auctions from the seller I just bought from went as high as $70.00 for 8+ eggs! 🤯 I will let you know how they are packed when they get here. The seller did message me last night to let me know that the eggs would either be shipped on the 11th (today) or the 12th and will update the shipping info once they shipped. I have never had a seller reach out with info like that before. It's nice!

I bought them from dprather1968. I thought their product info was very knowledgeable and their ratings were really good. There was another Wheaten Marans auction I was looking at, but I didn't feel quite as good about the amount of info provided - last time I lost an auction for eggs I felt pretty confident about and proceeded to buy the 2nd auction that I didn't feel quite as good about (D'Uccles) ....I ended up with dirtier eggs and was down by half by day 7. So I have decided if I have to pay a little bit more for the auction I feel good about then I will, but I still make sure I am not spending boat loads of money on them. Some of the Wheaten Marans auctions from the seller I just bought from went as high as $70.00 for 8+ eggs! 🤯 I will let you know how they are packed when they get here. The seller did message me last night to let me know that the eggs would either be shipped on the 11th (today) or the 12th and will update the shipping info once they shipped. I have never had a seller reach out with info like that before. It's nice!
Awesome, I found the seller and look forward to your review. :pop

That is four Welsummer eggs set and already had my dad offer to buy them from me when (or if) they hatch and lockdown is over. Roll on June 2nd.

May hatch was a bust and it wasn't the hens fault. I had no idea I had a mite infestation in that coop and that's why she was getting up on a night time. Nevermind , you live and learn.

Dumpling seems settled here for now.

IMG_20200510_173952.jpg

Back
Top Bottom