June Hatch-A-Long

Pics
:hit:hit:hit

my baby died last night. I tried to feed her again at midnight and she didn’t want to eat. I put her in her carrier for five minutes while I let the dogs out and when I came back to get her she was gone.

what a poor turn of events I started to feel really good about it yesterday. It’s too late in the season to get another one, I hope nothing happens to another one because then I’d only have one. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
You did your best, focus on that and it will not hurt as bad. I am sorry. :hugs

They're ok! You don't see movement because they already got into position for hatch so you don't see the eggs wobbling while they adjust. The next thing you will notice is little pips on hatch day!
Thank you , sorry this is only my second time like I've said before 1st time was all bad none made it , ok i'll stop stressing and just wait for these little cuties to do their thing .

I just ordered 2 dozen more shipped eggs Mauve English Orpingtons, Buff English Orpingtons, and Isabella Leghorns. Then 18 Olive Eggers locally ... Someone needs to stop me! View attachment 2173457:lau
Ya no ones stopping you here 😂 I’ll just encourage you. That’s what hatching friends do 😂

Stucky #2 made it out no worse for wear and is bumbling around, but #1 isn't doing so hot. Anything else I can do about the glued down piece of dried up membrane? It hasn't softened at all and the poor bub is trying to move around but failing miserably. Can't tell if it's also a wry neck, or just weak and tired from being stuck so long, but I've set it in a cup for now because it keeps flopping onto it's back and getting stuck on the membrane like a turtle shell. At least this way it can stay right side up and rest.
I use Coconut oil, warmed, and a qtip. The same thing I do for membranes moisturizing. I have a little space heater nearby, as my incubator is in the basement (64 degrees) and I don't want the chick to get cold. Sometimes it takes a while, but I only free it enough to get out of the egg or to be able to move all its appendages.

I’m thinking about shutting off my turner and not removing it. 007Sean does it and I’m going to try it. He has the exact bator.

I’m always trying new things.
I was thinking to try a vertical hatch, cutting the bottoms from an egg carton, and placing the eggs upright. My turner is upright, so it would not be a change to the chicks, plus they would not be able to mess with their sibling eggs AND I can fit more eggs in the hatcher or leave a larger (clear) space for them after they hatch.

I had a my little Black East Indie lone hatchling finished the zip and just needed a hair of help with the cap. It’s currently finishing up in the incubator while I figure out what to do with this baby.

I mean I have a group of babies with my Aztecs but they will be a week older with the oldest in that group being the singleton survivor black East Indie that will be a week and a half-ish almost two weeks. Think the baby could survive in that group?

I feel like I'm so behind after working outside all day. :)

The last thing to report, I made the "Sex-o-Matic" today (three pieces of wood, a string, and a nail) to play with @kelseyk idea for sexing eggs/chicks/the wive. My June hatch is on day 13, I did the pin test on each egg and they are still alive after my candling on day 10. The movement was small for each egg, so we retested until it was "clear". Current score, 9 boys and 7 girls. The turner now looks like a Junior High Dance, all the boys on one side and the girls on the other.

I will retest and mark each on lockdown day with a separated hatching tray. The boys will be banded before they are sent home. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom