June Hatch-A-Long

I think you’re trying everything in the right way. I suggest poultry cell that TSC usually has in stock because it’s the most complete vitamin/electrolyte mix. It has quite a bit more of a vitamin profile Than Nutri drench or polyvisol and it also includes minerals and amino acids. I have just recently switched to it for anything I used Nutri drench or poly vi sol for before

you hatch plenty of chicks and keep consistent in your processes. This isn’t you.

this is probably obvious, sorry, but no blood in the poop right?
What abut Rooster Booster at TSC? Despite it's bad name it's got vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics and you mix it into the water. It's the same ingredients as the little pouch ones for chicks that come in packs of three, but both types are combined into one bigger jar at a better price.

What abut Rooster Booster at TSC? Despite it's bad name it's got vitamins, electrolytes, and probiotics and you mix it into the water. It's the same ingredients as the little pouch ones for chicks that come in packs of three, but both types are combined into one bigger jar at a better price.
Rooster booster makes poultry cell too!

Not really. They’re inside the shed where it’s dry with a cement floor
Here’s my thoughts. If you’re losing different breed chicks, it’s potentially something in the environment. If it’s in the environment, you’re spreading it around anywhere, shoes hands and clothes. If you’re not losing any adult birds, it’s something they have immunity to. This all fits the coccidiosis bill.

if somehow someway a bit of coccidia got into their environment, they ate it, pooped it out. As chicks they sometimes poop into tbe food and it’s GAME ON. That coocidiosis outbreak I had in my meat birds had never been outside either. I brought it to them, probably on my shoe from a wet area near my coops.

I would investigate hardcore for poops in the brooder to see. It would be one of the easiest and best things you can handle in two days.

corid has no issues long term. If you have a coccidiosis outbreak it’s a blocker that slows the reproduction internally. It’s not an antibiotic. It allows the chicks to build immunities while slowing the reproduction so they don’t succumb.

Sorry, I always mix up Poultry Cell with Red Cell. (maybe they are basically the same though?)
I used to always have Red Cell handy for my larger animals.
I have some rooster booster here and I will add it into their food. I have the pellet one that you add to the feed. The older ones are not acting like this. I believe that it is because of the parents. My bantam brahma has had issues with her chicks hatching. I think none have made it past a week. I believe its the deathlayer and bantam brahma crossing that is causing issues somewhere... She will not get her eggs incubated or hatched again. I will keep her as a broody though. The BCM this time have all been weird acting, not like the first batch... I will not be buying from the breeder again. The Sultans I believe it may just have been weak ones that I got from her, which does not bother me there are always some of those in a hatch.

I am not too sad over it, I know I should be but I do not have time to be sad. I have to fix the situation. I'm a doer not a thinker, I believe that is why I have found such a passion for chickens, quail, and plants... You cull the weak so that future generations are stronger. Maybe I am just heartless or I have put up a wall to prevent myself the pain. I believe when I interned at the vet office, my heart learned when to feel pain and when not to... You cant sob over the clients dog because you have to save its life.

The chicks now are doing great, the ones that were strong. I made sure to check any of them for signs of whatever this is. I am wondering if maybe the chicks I got from someone else had something because those are the strongest ones, but those were the first 2 that died. Then the others were strong.

I NEVER buy chicks from people, I only do hatching eggs. I guess at least the oldest seem to be the strongest and there are far more of them than the young ones now that almost all the BCM have been culled. Some had curled toes, one had a tendon slipped (at hatch and never went back no matter what I tried), and the others just seemed to have zero energy right from the hatch.

Here’s my thoughts. If you’re losing different breed chicks, it’s potentially something in the environment. If it’s in the environment, you’re spreading it around anywhere, shoes hands and clothes. If you’re not losing any adult birds, it’s something they have immunity to. This all fits the coccidiosis bill.

if somehow someway a bit of coccidia got into their environment, they ate it, pooped it out. As chicks they sometimes poop into tbe food and it’s GAME ON. That coocidiosis outbreak I had in my meat birds had never been outside either. I brought it to them, probably on my shoe from a wet area near my coops.

I would investigate hardcore for poops in the brooder to see. It would be one of the easiest and best things you can handle in two days.

corid has no issues long term. If you have a coccidiosis outbreak it’s a blocker that slows the reproduction internally. It’s not an antibiotic. It allows the chicks to build immunities while slowing the reproduction so they don’t succumb.
Okay I’ll be doing that... 🤬🤬🤬 that’s me swearing. I’m so angry today. I can’t stand when things like this happen.

My adult chickens I believe are perfect but I’ll be checking them now. I got my eggs apron on and I’m going egg hunting

Back
Top Bottom