Kathyinmo, You are AWESOME! Thank you!

Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cynthia, Belated Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hugs.gif
Yes, Kathy, I have learned so much from her! Glad you two got together!
hugs.gif

Now, I'm seeing that my partially pieced proposed tablecloth could be a medallion in a new and interesting quilt. Hmm. I have so much to do and see more and more projects, thanks to this new fabric! Kathy, I'm going to put those strips you sent on the quilt today, or at least start it, and then on to Walmart to buy batting and put it together. Then, as I'm quilting it, I'll also be cutting pieces for my Road to Oklahoma project. Now that I have no chicks in brooder, bator or grow out pens and only adult birds, my time is freed up for all this.
smile.png

Oh, decisions, decisions ....! Now, you can have 3 or 4 projects going at once, and just work on the one you are in the mood for! LOL Yea, right ... I must have 25 or 30 UFOs around here! I think I will make a New Year's resolution to either finish them or get rid of them!

I agree that would be a great medallion. AND, you could even do a pieced border for it! I have a book or 10 on pieced borders ... I love 'em! Judy Laquidara (a resident of my town and a BYCer, by the way) is a quilt book author, and one of her specialties is pieced borders ... nice easy ones to boot! She has a couple great books out now. Actually, she has some free patterns on her website with pieced borders. http://www.patchworktimes.com/ Warning ... her blog is addicting, like a soap opera, and she's a hoot!

Have fun, Cyn. I hope this doesn't mean you're gonna be spendin' all your time quilting, and little time on BYC.
gig.gif

Last edited:
I put the strips on the quilt top you sent, Kathy, and have mitered two of the four corners. I also bought some batting today for it and am trying to decide if I want to set up my big quilt frame in the livingroom or just use hoops. It's a plain wooden frame that you have to sew strips onto the quilt to attach to the frame. I will start on my Road to Oklahoma next, I think, and may let DH decide on the final colors among my own fabric and the great ones you sent me. I have a nice book here with pieced borders, too, and I'll check out Judy's blog.

Hey, Kathy, were you planning to use that gold/beige fabric with the small print (looks like a wreath till you get close and it's cherries) as the backing for the purple/gold quilt? I measured it out and the quilt, with the borders I've just put on, is about 90x92. The fabric is about 42" wide and there is 226 inches of length. Cut in half, each length would be 113 inches, but sewn together lengthwise, it won't be wide enough to go across the quilt. Was thinking I could do three strips and use the heavily patterned fabric you used on the front as a center strip, bounded by the two strips of the gold/beige fabric. Maybe I'm off base, but I think that is the fabric I have the most of...or were you going to use the bright gold? Hope all this makes sense!

Ya know, I think that was the plan. Then with the borders making it larger, I can't remember what I was gonna do. Oh wait, I know ... I think I was gonna do the John Flynn measurement for diagonal pieced backing:
http://www.flynnquilt.com/workshop/FreeLessons/
If
you google, "John Flynn backing," or, "diagonal pieced quilt backing," you will see others explain it a little more than he does also... like this one does:
http://bsue.wordpress.com/2007/03/25/de-mystifying-john-flynns-diagonal-pieced-backing-directions/

I've never heard of that method...off to learn something new! Oh, I let DH decide which blue and which gold to use in "his" Road to Ok bed quilt and he chose that intensely blue subtly-patterned Jinny Beyer fabric you sent over the darker, closer-to-solid blue I had bought for it originally.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom