Khalil Campbell's yet to hatch!

Emilie17

In the Brooder
May 31, 2017
Yesterday at 11:34 PM

Emilie17New Egg
Hey everyone! I am quite new to hatching ducklings. I have 2 out of 6 eggs in the incubator that seem to still be alive... the 28 day mark was on Sunday (5/28), but there doesn't seem to be any sign of the hatching process. The temp has consistently been 98.5 and humidity 75-80% since day 25 (99.5* and 55-65% humidityup til that point). I don't know how long I wait before I should intervene or just call it??

1 egg has very distinct blood vessels still, with the air sack filling only 1/3 of the egg.
The other egg looks for formed and air sack is about 1/2 of the egg. Both have some movement still. Is it common for ducklings to be late hatchers?

Yes, you are a little past due, but if there is still signs of movement, then there is still hope.
Although your numbers seem good, I have to ask if you have an independently verified thermometer/hygrometer? Incubators are notoriously off, just out of the box. My guess is that your temps were actually a little low.

Also - many folks make the mistake of counting the first 24 hours as day 1. Day 1 doesn't actually start until 24 hours after the eggs are started. So is it possible that your count is a day off?

Other than that, I'd say give them another day or so, and candle and check them for movement.

Good luck!

Yes, you are a little past due, but if there is still signs of movement, then there is still hope.
Although your numbers seem good, I have to ask if you have an independently verified thermometer/hygrometer? Incubators are notoriously off, just out of the box. My guess is that your temps were actually a little low.

Also - many folks make the mistake of counting the first 24 hours as day 1. Day 1 doesn't actually start until 24 hours after the eggs are started. So is it possible that your count is a day off?

Other than that, I'd say give them another day or so, and candle and check them for movement.

Good luck!

I'm not using a thermometer or hygrometer that's attached to the incubator. Both have been accurate when we tested before the incubation process... but it very well could be inaccurate ! I think I might have counted the first day wrong, so the hatch date would have been Monday. I canceled them tonight and I still think I see some movement... just not as much as before. :/

The humidity sounds high....60 is a pretty good target...Yes, you might of counted wrong?....:frow

60 is what I read was good for the incubation period up until the 25-28 days... I saw that a couple times, but I do want some advice! Is 60% what you've aimed at? I don't know if this matters, but I think my incubator is a still air one.

Update... Only one one the ducklings is moving now. I was wondering if I'm allowed to turn the egg? I stopped the egg turner on day 25. When I candled the egg this morning, I could tell the ducks head is down and when I slightly turned it up in my hand, it's beak was pecking against the air sac faster. Do I need to be spraying the egg? Humidity is still at 70%.

Update... Only one one the ducklings is moving now. I was wondering if I'm allowed to turn the egg? I stopped the egg turner on day 25. When I candled the egg this morning, I could tell the ducks head is down and when I slightly turned it up in my hand, it's beak was pecking against the air sac faster. Do I need to be spraying the egg? Humidity is still at 70%.

Wow, these are really late but if you still see movement, there is still hope. Did the air cell look oblong and no longer round? When they get ready to break out, the air cell shifts as they get into position. The lowest spot on the air cell (when candling with the air cell end of the egg upright) the lowest spot should be facing upward when you lay the egg back down. :)
and no need to keep misting, but keep the humidity up now.

good luck!

I don't think the air cell looks oblong, just at a slant because of how the duck is laying. Thanks for the input! This is my first time, and I really want it to go as well as it can.

So update!! 11 days late, the little duckling has pushed through and hatched! Is it normal for the feet to be curled up for a little bit? Also, there's a pink bump around the butt, should that go away?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom